• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last Birds on earth. (1 Viewer)

lvn600

Suppose all birds were to become extinct but 10 different species could be saved from extinction. Which 10 would you save?

It wouldn't be a deliberate save, but I've said it time and time again that the House Sparrow has to be the most adaptable....they won't go down without a fight, it's my guess they will be the big winner...
If there were only 10 species left, mother earth would soon be following in extinction as the balance would be completely obliterated.
Insectavores would have to occupy at least half or more of the top ten slots, I should would imagine without really thinking this thru.
shelley
Hhhhmmmm hope I don't get any nightmares tonight.

lvn600 said:
Suppose all birds were to become extinct but 10 different species could be saved from extinction. Which 10 would you save?

This question is very difficult! On the one hand, it reads like "What are your 10 favorite species?" but on the other hand it reads like "Which 10 birds would be the best to help create a sustainable ecosystem?"

Since 10 bird species would never be enough to create a sustainable ecosystem, I'll answer the first case question:
01) Pileated Woodpecker
02) Bluebird
03) Ring-necked Pheasant
04) Sparrow Hawk
05) Ptarmigan
06) Baltimore Oriole
07) Rose-breasted Grosbeak
08) Cedar Waxwing
09) Red-Winged Blackbird
10) Killdeer

Adaptable birds will be winners like crows, sparrows etc. Also ten species are never enough to establish an ecosystem. Although most of the species will be omnivorous and inteelegent, maybe species of little importance to man will be the most likely survivors.

Frankly, this situation will ever come.

There's no minimum number of species required to form an 'ecosystem', Arunav. An island may have just a handful of pioneer species, and that works ok.

Terry O'Nolley said:
This question is very difficult! On the one hand, it reads like "What are your 10 favorite species?" but on the other hand it reads like "Which 10 birds would be the best to help create a sustainable ecosystem?"

Since 10 bird species would never be enough to create a sustainable ecosystem, I'll answer the first case question:
01) Pileated Woodpecker
02) Bluebird
03) Ring-necked Pheasant
04) Sparrow Hawk
05) Ptarmigan
06) Baltimore Oriole
07) Rose-breasted Grosbeak
08) Cedar Waxwing
09) Red-Winged Blackbird
10) Killdeer
Thank you Terry-You've got the idea. For everyone else -temember its just a silly game let's not get too serious about it. Maybe everyone would feel more at ease if I just said what's your 10 favorite birds.-Larry

I'll bite (quite literally - not just tongue in cheek). If we're down to 10 species, then the world's going to hell in a handbasket, and I'll need something to eat. So....

1) Ostrich: there's a lot of meat on them
2) Emu: ditto
3) Wood duck (Chenonetta jubata): breeds like crazy, very tasty
4) Peregrine Falcon: not for eating, but to hunt for...
5) Rock Dove: if they can't survive, what hope have we?
6) Quail (take your pick of species - preferably a plump one)
7) Great Cormorant: for use in fishing, as is (was?) done in parts of Asia
8) Junglefowl (or, for preference, their domestic descendants)
9) Short-tailed Shearwater: do a search for "muttonbird pie" on google + a Victorian breeding population of 22 million pairs
10) Little Penguin: do they really taste as bad as they smell?

Food for thought! ;)

Nick Elliston said:
I would go along with Mike, exclude Pengiun and Shearwater, but include Pheasant and Turkey using his reasoning.

And a little SEASONING. Me thinks Mike is hungry.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back