• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (9 Viewers)

Latest IOC Updates:

Sept 16 Post proposed split of Indochinese Babbler from Scaly-crowned Babbler.

Sept 16 Post proposed split of Pellorneum macropterum (Bornean Swamp Babbler) from P. rostratum White-chested Babbler (Malayan Swamp Babbler) based on vocal and genetic differences (Eaton et al 2021). English names tentative.

Sept 16 Post proposed splits of Glissando Babbler Pellorneum saturatum (Sarawak, w Kalimantan) and Leaflitter Babbler Pellorneum poliogene (Sabah, Brunei, e Kalimantan) from Short-tailed (Mourning) Babbler P. malaccense (Malay Pen., Sumatra) based on pronounced vocal and genome-wide differences (Eaton et al 2021). English names tentative .

Sept 16 Post proposed split of Palawan Tit-Babbler from Pin-striped Tit-Babbler.
MJB
PS I like 'Glissando Babbler' as an English name!

If this is a side effect of "No More Eponyms" (not saying it is) then I'm all in favour of it.
Glissando was chosen as the English name purely down to the song (along with Mourning Babbler), as it's the most reliable way of distinguishing between the two species. Without the song Glissando is a real cryptic taxon, which isn't even recognised as a subspecies by some authorities, at least in the past.

James

Glissando was chosen as the English name purely down to the song (along with Mourning Babbler), as it's the most reliable way of distinguishing between the two species. Without the song Glissando is a real cryptic taxon, which isn't even recognised as a subspecies by some authorities, at least in the past.

James
I admire the use of wit and knowledge in language. The name 'Glissando' has made my week, never mind day...

However, if anyone wants to know the confused history of the word in music, see Glissandos and glissandon’ts | OUPblog.
MJB

Latest IOC Diary entries:

Sept 19 Post move of Crested Jay from Family Corvidae to newly recognized Family Platylophidae (see Taxonomic Updates for details). Proposed English name change to Crested Jayshrike.

Sept 18 Post proposed splits of African, Azores, Madeira and Canary Islands Chaffinches from Eurasian (Common) Chaffinch.

Sept 17 Post proposed reinstatement of Ruvu Weaver as a species distinct from Eastern Golden Weaver.

Sept 16 Post proposed split of Indochinese Babbler from Scaly-crowned Babbler.

MJB

Pellorneum poliogene
This was poliogenis in version 11.2 (and it's poliogenys in Clements/eBird). But I see that Howard and Moore 4 had Trichastoma malaccense poliogene (also a neuter species name like Pellorneum) with a footnote explaining that poliogene is the correct original spelling and poliogenys was an ISS. So it looks like this is a valid correction.

Seeing the chaffinches, I am now quite grateful for my wife's neverending quest to record complete bird species for every trip, no matter how mundane birds they are!

Seeing the chaffinches, I am now quite grateful for my wife's neverending quest to record complete bird species for every trip, no matter how mundane birds they are!
Given how different these birds are from "our" mainland european birds I would never dismiss these birds as mundane. I always strive to identify birds to subspecies during my travels and then try to work out how they differ from the birds I've seen before.

Given how different these birds are from "our" mainland european birds I would never dismiss these birds as mundane. I always strive to identify birds to subspecies during my travels and then try to work out how they differ from the birds I've seen before.
I like to look at them to, I would just probably not have written it down anywhere. Luckily, she is a master of tables!

This was poliogenis in version 11.2 (and it's poliogenys in Clements/eBird). But I see that Howard and Moore 4 had Trichastoma malaccense poliogene (also a neuter species name like Pellorneum) with a footnote explaining that poliogene is the correct original spelling and poliogenys was an ISS. So it looks like this is a valid correction.

The name appeared as poliogenis in the text and poliogenys on the plate. (It's a bit strange to call "poliogene", as such, an OS.) Unless the text and plate appeared at different dates, the OS was thus dual. However, the text included a statement of intentional alteration of poliogenys (apparently suggested by Verreaux, who attributed it to Boie) into poliogenis, which might be interpreted as an "original" first reviser act -- making poliogenys an IOS (not an ISS) :

“ This curious bird was obtained by Mr. Wilson from M. Verreaux, with the words ‘Myiothera poliogenys, Boie, Borneo,’ attached.
[...]
“ I have altered the spelling of the specific name from poliogenys to poliogenis, as the former word would imply grey-bearded instead of grey-cheeked.

For what it's worth...
In Greek, γένυς is the jaw and, by extension, the cheek; "grey-cheeked" would be πολιογενυς, which can be transliterated into poliogenys, the spelling apparently proposed by Verreaux ex Boie. The words related to γένυς and meaning beard are γένειον and γενειάς; "grey-bearded" might be πολιογενειος, -ος, -ον, which might be latinized into poliogenīus, -a, -um.
In Latin, gena also means the cheek: griseigenis, -is, -e, might be a neo-Latin compound adjective meaning grey-cheeked.
It seems likely that what Strickland wanted to achieve was to switch from a spelling derived from γένυς to one derived from gena. (I think he erred in thinking that this might change the meaning of the name, however -- and the result was a vox hybrida, to which subsequent authors may have preferred the word of pure Greek derivation that appeared on the plate.)

Last edited:
Latest IOC Update is of Peter Kovalik's magnum opus of names in bird languages other than English:

Sept 26 Post Peter Kovalik's update of the Multilingual Version of IOC 11.2 by adding the latest version of the Dutch and Swedish names for all IOC bird species. Dutch: Vercruijsse, P., 2021: Vogelnamenlijst IOC V29. Swedish: Markus Lagerqvist, Erling Jirle och Gustav Asplund, BirdLife Sverige, Tk. Officiella listan över svenska namn på alla världens fågelarter - 26 juli 2021. Also Portuguese names including, for the first time ever, all bird species (Paixão, P. Os Nomes Portugueses das Aves de Todo o Mundo: Projeto de Nomenclatura, 2.ª ed., a separata, n.º 1, suplemento d’«a folha» n.º 66 — verão de 2021).

Sept 28 Post proposed split of Eastern Rockhopper Penguin from Southern Rockhopper Penguin.
Sept 28 Post proposed split of Tanygnathus everetti (Blue-backed Parrot) from Tanygnathus sumatranus (Azure-rumped Parrot). Note that the English name Blue-backed Parrot follows the split species.
MJB

Sept 28 Post proposed split of Tanygnathus everetti (Blue-backed Parrot) from Tanygnathus sumatranus (Azure-rumped Parrot). Note that the English name Blue-backed Parrot follows the split species.
MJB

Oct 2 Post proposed split of Rufous-crowned Bee-eater from Blue-throated Bee-eater.

Thought I'd seen Blue-throated in more places than I have but turns out only Sabah and the Philippines, the latter referring to Rufous-crowned now.

Last edited:
Oct 2 Post proposed split of Rufous-crowned Bee-eater from Blue-throated Bee-eater.

Thought I'd seen Blue-throated in more places than I have but turns out only Sabah and the Philippines, the latter referring to Rufous-crowned now.
IOC added another split after you notified that one, Andy:

Oct 3 Post proposed split of Brown-breasted Kingfisher from White-throated Kingfisher.

MJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back