• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (2 Viewers)

I had a bird guide who claimed he could tell African from Eurasian based on (I think) primary extension. But that would involve actually seeing the bird, which was already hard enough.

May 17 Accept newly recognized and redescribed New Caledonian Storm Petrel.
I assume this is based on Vincent Bretagnolle, Robert L. Flood, Sabrina Gaba, and Hadoram Shirihai 2022.
Fregetta storm petrels .
Peale 1848 is the correct author and date?
Peale 1848:
United States Exploring Expedition .
Or Hartlaub 1848?
https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/Archiv-Naturgeschichte_18-1_0093-0138.pdf .
Or Cassin 185?
Peale's picture shown on sea.
https://www.euppublishing.com/doi/pdfplus/10.3366/E0260954108000132 .
Peale said he got the bird from a native who got it from a hole in the mountains. I like Peale's English name. White-lined Petrel:
Page 337.

Last edited:
Peale 1848 is the correct author and date?
Peale 1848:
Or Hartlaub 1848?

Hartlaub's work was published in 1852, not 1848. Also at: Jahrg.18:Bd.1 (1852) - Archiv für Naturgeschichte - Biodiversity Heritage Library

The main question, here, would seem to be whether Peale's work, which was produced in a limited number of copies and apparently never offered for sale, was really ever published in the sense of the Code. (It's the fact that the work was not obtainable through the book trade that led Hartlaub, when he obtained a copy "through friendly mediation", to present its contents in detail in Arch. Naturgesch.)

Hartlaub 1852 attributed the name to Peale, but he described the bird in his own words. It cannot be doubted that this predated Cassin 1858 v.8 (1858) [Mamm. & Ornith. Text] - United States Exploring Expedition - Biodiversity Heritage Library : should Peale 1848 be deemed unpublished, then Hartlaub 1852 would presumably be the author and date.

Last edited:
Thank you, Laurent. Hartlaub in 1852 had a contact from Philadelphia since he described gambelii the Greater White-fronted Goose that year. Dr. Gambel was a Philly based naturalist. Peale years later stated that over 100 copies of his text were printed and disseminated. (250 or less) and {the Mammals and Ornithology was printed and copies sent to foreign governments) But what was not published in numbers was the 84 drawings. The interesting thing is Hartlaub’s “review” of the work it appears he did get the drawings. “page 293 plate 79” The only way he could describe lineata by himself?

Potter's American Monthly . Page 307 and others.

The Bruce and Bahr article 2020 use Peale 1849 for the author and date for names from Mammals and Ornithology. Not sure why. (edit they cite Overstreet in Bruce et al and Haskell)
The United States Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842, and Its Publications, 1844-1874 .
vol.136:no.2(Jun 2016) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/dating/sherbornia/issues/s06-01.pdf .

Last edited:
The interesting thing is Hartlaub’s “review” of the work it appears he did get the drawings. “page 293 plate 79” The only way he could describe lineata by himself?

No, he did not. It's explicit on p. 94: "Die von Peale bei jeder neuen oder für neu gehaltenen Art citirten Kupfertafeln sind uns nicht zu Gesicht".

Hartlaub appears, actually, to have merely translated and reworked Peale's descriptions -- often shortening them, changing the sequence in which the characters are cited, etc. His only real additions (i.e., the only parts of the text that were intended to represent his own ideas, as opposed to Peale's) are the remarks that follow some of the species accounts, and which are printed in parentheses and in a slightly bolder face. (See editor's footnote on p. 93.)

I guess it would make sense, on this ground, to attribute any new name in this work to "Peale in Hartlaub 1852" under 50.1.1, rather than directly to Hartlaub. The only thing being that this is not how I am used to see this article applied...

Last edited:
May 17 Accept lump of Chinese Cupwing with Scaly-breasted Cupwing.

May 18 Accept lump of African Reed Warbler with Eurasian Reed Warbler as Common Reed Warbler.

There’s some confusion regarding Abbott’s Sunbird, has it been lumped? Not in the Diary but presented on Species Update, albeit still with PL status, not AL. Absent in its entirety from the PS-page.

There’s some confusion regarding Abbott’s Sunbird, has it been lumped? Not in the Diary but presented on Species Update, albeit still with PL status, not AL. Absent in its entirety from the PS-page.
Thanks. Sorry for the confusion. That entry should have been entered in the PL update page, not on the Species Update page (But likely the lump will be accepted).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back