• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LED Moth trap (1 Viewer)

There's also a New LED light by Ento nets UK called a Podlight it consists of 2 uv,2 green and 2 blue Leds ,I have been using it in a disused upland quarry in the South Penines,I'm very impressed with it,I'm using it with a pop up insect rearing mesh cube,I've added some white vanes ,which definitely improve the trap for holding Carpet types, now,I've been using this set up for a month now,it is so portable used in conjunction with a 4800ah powerbank .I targeted 5 species of Moth,and so far 3 of the target species have come to the Podlight ie Confused,Tissue,Drinker plus noteable Local Moths Neglected and Heath Rustics,Anomalous. Regards Brian Leecy

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome BriLee and hope you enjoy your visit :)

There's also a New LED light by Ento nets UK called a Podlight it consists of 2 uv,2 green and 2 blue Leds ,I have been using it in a disused upland quarry in the South Penines,I'm very impressed with it,I'm using it with a pop up insect rearing mesh cube,I've added some white vanes ,which definitely improve the trap for holding Carpet types, now,I've been using this set up for a month now,it is so portable used in conjunction with a 4800ah powerbank .I targeted 5 species of Moth,and so far 3 of the target species have come to the Podlight ie Confused,Tissue,Drinker plus noteable Local Moths Neglected and Heath Rustics,Anomalous. Regards Brian Leecy ,ps Podlight on right.

20230811_091242.jpg
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome BriLee and hope you enjoy your visit :)
Thanks very much for the warm welcome,as a Birder,And Wildlife Photographer/Watcher,this is a really interesting site,regards Bri.

Oddly I was just thinking last week about updating this as the Wet season is over. It is hard to compare seasons here as the rain totals vary hugely and have a big impact. That said the last two Wets have both been good (the preceding 5 or 6 were classified as failed Wets due to the very low rainfall totals). Wet 21/22 had approx 3m of rain with the majority falling from Feb onwards, 22/23 has had over 3.5m most importantly though it has been steady and regular since early December (we almost got caught by this and only just managed to drive home from a holiday in UK as the road to my town is basically unsealed and the early rain made the usual 8 hour trip closer to 12 hours all of which was done in low ratio as the track was falling apart as we drove it). The number of individuals was down (peak 10k inds on the sheet on several occasions in 21/22 compared to peak 5k in 22/23) but diversity was much higher (good night in 21/22 150sp with one night over 200; in 22/23 200+ sp was not unusual and there were several nights over 250 species). A good comparison for the effectiveness of the LepiLED on its own was a series of weekends in Feb. On the first used both MV and LepiLED, on the second due to technical issues just LepiLED and then the next genny was repaired and so used both. There was a drop in diversity on the LepiLED alone weekend with a peak of just 210 species where as the weekends either side peaked at 250+ (huge caveat here in that I am still working on many of the photos and there are roughly 100 photos of prob 60+ species to be identified for each session but the proportions will probably stay the same). Also of interest is that the range of species changes with the LepiLED and there were 20+ species (haven't counted accurately I'm afraid) that only appeared with the pure LepiLED sessions, given how fickle moths can be and that it is only from one preiod the light source might not be the reason for this but my gut is that it is certainly a factor.

Moving away from UV LEDs, and sacrificing some of the portability this year..

I've had some good overnight results with a portable battery and blacklight.
The battery inside my campervan so it's dry and safe.
This gives quite a few more possibilities to trap in better habitats, or near the coast.

The power supply just about lasts a summer night with a 20w blacklight. (~9 hours). For a couple of nights on the road, I'd swap from the blacklight to a battery UV led at some point during the night.
Both blacklight and UV LEDs seem to complement each other when run together, and is probably approaching the MV levels of light output.

View attachment 1515030

View attachment 1515031
That looks a great setup used from your campervan.

View attachment 1528518

Thanks very much for the warm welcome,as a Birder,And Wildlife Photographer/Watcher,this is a really interesting site,regards Bri.
Ps though the Temperatures are on the low side recently, still managed some good Local species to Podlight LED ,ie Small Autumnal Moth, Heath Rustic,Anomalous., ( Small Autumnal Moth and Heath Rustic, shown ) regards Bri.

Attachments

• IMG_0393_DxO.jpg
    IMG_0393_DxO.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0357_DxO.jpg
    IMG_0357_DxO.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
The Podlight and net looks a nice portable option. I'm happy with the new Paul Batty LED Eco Heath from my first attempt in the garden, but it's definitely too awkward to take on a hike.

The Podlight and net looks a nice portable option. I'm happy with the new Paul Batty LED Eco Heath from my first attempt in the garden, but it's definitely too awkward to take on a hike.
Il check out Paul Batty,s Led Eco options,I'm glad he's gone down the Led path I still have his Hawk Mv Trap,still works great in a Garden situation/ access to mains electricity.How do you find the LED Eco ? Thanks and Regards Bri.

Il check out Paul Batty,s Led Eco options,I'm glad he's gone down the Led path I still have his Hawk Mv Trap,still works great in a Garden situation/ access to mains electricity.How do you find the LED Eco ? Thanks and Regards Bri.

I've only had the one try, but it's well made and seemed to pull the moths in perfectly well on the 3w lamp, haven't tried it with higher wattages. I bought a 12v 7Ah LIPO battery, which easily did a night. How the frequency on the bulbs he supplies work compare to the dearer set ups I don't know - this is my first trap. It fit's my beginners needs fine and seems great value.

I've only had the one try, but it's well made and seemed to pull the moths in perfectly well on the 3w lamp, haven't tried it with higher wattages. I bought a 12v 7Ah LIPO battery, which easily did a night. How the frequency on the bulbs he supplies work compare to the dearer set ups I don't know - this is my first trap. It fit's my beginners needs fine and seems great value.
Cheers Richard ,It sounds good,He makes great reliable Moth Traps/Electrics.Great Mothing regards Bri 😀

I've just bought a 9w LED bulb and a longer mains cable. I'm thinking holidays.

ES bulbs seem to be the norm now, so anything with an ES or E27 fitting should give you plenty of options for different bulbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back