• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO 77mm Televid viewfinder eyepiece (2 Viewers)

Hello, I just got a used Leica APO 77mm Televid with a the fixed Leica 32x eyepiece.

I have some beginner questions...

1) I'm wondering if I'm missing anything by not having the 20-60x?

2) did Leica make an extender for the 77mm? Will the new one for the 82mm fit?

3) does anybody know of other brands of eyepiece (I've heard of Vixen) that would fit? Is there a standard thread size?

I should add that I cannot find a 20-60x Leica eyepiece on eBay so that's where some of my questions come from.

Any thoughts are very much welcome. Thanks.

1) The APO77 performs excellently with the 20-60x zoom but this eyepiece, as with all those for the 1st generation Televids, are difficult to find. I have both the 32xWW and zoom for my APO62 and find myself using the zoom more, its so good, even with the smaller scope.
2) I don't think that an extender was made for this scope and the one for the APO82 won't fit as it has a different bayonet fitting.
3) As far as I'm aware, eyepieces from other brands won't fit, at least not without an adapter of some kind? Someone else may know better. The Leica eyepieces are not threaded and have a proprietary bayonet mount.

Hope this is helpful?

RB

Last edited:
Hello, I just got a used Leica APO 77mm Televid with a the fixed Leica 32x eyepiece.

3) does anybody know of other brands of eyepiece (I've heard of Vixen) that would fit? Is there a standard thread size?

I should add that I cannot find a 20-60x Leica eyepiece on eBay so that's where some of my questions come from.

The Leica APO 77 is now quite old but I have kept mine. I have three eyepieces: 20x WW, 32x WW and the 20-60x zoom. The 32x WW is very good and was my favourite. I seldom used the zoom. The FOV is quite narrow. There were rumours about a new WW zoom (20or25 - 50x?) eyepiece which was said to be better than the earlier zoom eyepiece, but I never managed to get hold of one.

In my humble opinion, you do not miss very much by not having the 20-60x. The 32x WW is that good.

At that time, if you wanted a zoom, you were probably better off with a Swarovski.

The Leica 32x WW had a legendary reputation when it was made.
Most zooms of the period had a very narrow AFoV at the lower magnifications and also rather limited eye relief.
Given the choice between 20-60x zoom and 32x WW, I know which one I'd choose. You've got a great combination.

John

Hi there, I have a 20-60x eye piece I am looking to sell. Please let me know if you are still looking for this piece. It is in perfect condition with case and top and bottom cover. You can email me at revivehealthlondon.com Thanks.

Hi there, I have a 20-60x eye piece I am looking to sell. Please let me know if you are still looking for this piece. It is in perfect condition with case and top and bottom cover. You can email me at revivehealthlondon.com Thanks.
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Your email is coming up as invalid. How much is the piece?

I’m interested in the eyepiece if it’s still available. Email me at [email protected] please.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back