• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LEICA APO 82 : how to attach a camera (1 Viewer)

alpheratz06

France
Hello
I just wander if it is possible to attach a digital camera directly to the APO 82 barrel. I mean I would like to keep a rather medium amplification, to stay close to the original 400mm focal length of the scope.
The 42306 (hard to find these days) provides adaptation to 42 mount system, but with an important magnification factor.

I have seen there is a thread (in parallel to the "normal" eyepiece mount) at the back of the televid, which looks like M42x1mm thread.
I wander if one could use this thread to screw in a M42 adapter, without internal additional lens, so that to keep the 400mm (or so) original focas length.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jean-Ph

Hi,

not quite sure if that is possible with any spotting scope. In my experience the focal plane is usually inside the body, so you absolutely need a barlow or telecentric system to get that out to your sensor.

Joachim

Hi,

not quite sure if that is possible with any spotting scope. In my experience the focal plane is usually inside the body, so you absolutely need a barlow or telecentric system to get that out to your sensor.

Joachim
That makes sense. I would have been keen to be able to use my televid as a 400mm or so guiding scope , but I fear there is no simple solution. Adapters like the (obsolete) 42306 are almost impossible to find and lead to a high f-stop. I will continue to investigate for the exact characteristics of the thread which is located around the eyepiece bayonet system (something like M43x ??) to try to adapt an astro eyepiece carrier. Considering the high quality of such scope, it's areal pity...

Hi,

ok, since you obviously want to use it for astro imaging, there are some guiding cams in the form of a 1.25" EP which have their sensor on their forward end - you could check if a 1.25" EP barrel fits into the bayonet mount of your Leica. If yes, sth probably can be adapted.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back