• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica UK - is the warranty transferable? (1 Viewer)

gandytron

Hello all,

In the past I have purchased second-hand Swaro and Zeiss and I have registered these purchases with the respective manufacturers and have made use of their customer service for free-of-charge repairs under warranty.

I am travelling home to the UK next week and will likely purchase a pair of "Alpha" binos. I may buy new, or second-hand depending on what's available.

Can anybody tell me whether the Leica warranty is transferable to the new owner when they buy second hand? I have looked on the Leica website and there is an empty page where the full details of their warranty is supposed to be (see https://leica-camera.com/en-int/30x/uk/Warranty). I also asked a well-known birding optics shop about this recently in relation to a pair of Leicas I was interested in but I didn't get a reply on this particular question.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

Dave

Hi, I emailed Leica about a year ago with this question and if my memory serves me correctly I'm pretty sure they said the warranty was with the binocular and not the owner.
To be double sure just drop them an email.

In the link posted by Dennis, I extrapolated the only bit regarding pre owned binoculars - 6 months warranty if purchased from an authorised Leica dealer. Not entirely rewarding if purchasing, say eg, a pair of Noctivids that may only be 2 years old (when first sold). I think this question has been asked before without a clear answer. Lee (Troubador) may have a fuller idea. Additionally, the fact that a well known birding optics couldn't advise on the position does not bode well regarding the passing on of the original 10 year warranty.

Last edited:
I believe that in the past it has been non-transferable. However, although that may technically still be the case, certainly with older binoculars, it might well be that, with Leica’s new warranty policies and general change of heart with regard to customer service, they would look favourably on any genuine and responsible request.

Hello all,

In the past I have purchased second-hand Swaro and Zeiss and I have registered these purchases with the respective manufacturers and have made use of their customer service for free-of-charge repairs under warranty.

I am travelling home to the UK next week and will likely purchase a pair of "Alpha" binos. I may buy new, or second-hand depending on what's available.

Can anybody tell me whether the Leica warranty is transferable to the new owner when they buy second hand? I have looked on the Leica website and there is an empty page where the full details of their warranty is supposed to be (see https://leica-camera.com/en-int/30x/uk/Warranty). I also asked a well-known birding optics shop about this recently in relation to a pair of Leicas I was interested in but I didn't get a reply on this particular question.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

Dave
I don’t know about how Leica USA will warranty used optics. But they do warranty all Leica optics bought oversees from certified Leica dealers. I bought mine in the Netherlands and had it serviced the same week I received with no problem. There was a speck on the internal glass, I didn’t want to send it back because other than that speck they were perfect, focuser smooth. From my two oversees Purchases, I think You could almost buy new for the cost of used.

Paul

Unfortunately in my experience the Leica UK warranty was three years including one year passport and was not transferable. A few years ago we had a thirty year warranty but that seems to have fallen by tne wayside now

I don’t understand why Europe seems neglected by European manufacturers and sport optics brands in general. Leica now offers 10 years passport warranty and 30 years mechanical warranty just in USA. Swarovski has lifetime warranty just in USA. Zeiss the same. In europe we get 10 years from all of them. Why?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back