• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica view comparison idea... (1 Viewer)

Frank who used was a regular on here, sent my his 7x42 Ultravids to compare to my 8x42s. I tested them side by side for a few weeks and decided they were so close, it wouldn’t be worth it for me to own both. I can see a 7x plus a 10x42, that would really cover the bases. Now my 7x35 Retrovid is different enough in other ways, so I happily own both.

I'm in the market for a Leica bino....
My view: Pardon any repetition.

You need to consider your primary use and accept that no one binocular is best for every situation.

For example, especially with spring woodland warblers, 7x is the best way to 'fly'. Magnification takes a back seat to the ease of finding and following small, often quick-moving birds, especially during the 'dawn chorus' when warbler activity is intense. I was greatly impressed by the Leica 7x42 HD+ binos a fellow bird club member lent me this spring.

If you want an all-around bino, 8x is a very good compromise. I own three 8x pairs (2 Swaro EL's, 1 Zeiss SFL). but hope to sell one pair and acquire a pair of 7x Leica's.

10x is better for raptor migration (hawk watch sites) and large open expanses.

Last edited:
Sounds like you’ve covered all your bases. Do you have a favorite, grab everyday bin?
When I go in the field, I grab the 7x35 Leica Retro..... When around the house / backyard...I use my wife's 8x32 Meostar B1.1 since it is always out and near the patio etc.... When in the car and just tooling around and I see something, I use (recently acquired) an Opticron 7x36 BGA Classic....When visiting my daughter in Australia, I use the Opticron 8x32 Verano which I keep 'down under' so I don't have to travel with a pair of bins... Birding on the coast, hawk watch etc....my Notovids 10x42.. jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back