• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos 8th-15th May 2008 (1 Viewer)

Hi Penny

Great read throughout. I am dead envious of your Rock Thrush. I have only ever seen two and they weren't great views with either of them.

The lacewing you have a picture of I just have down in my data base as Nemoptera sinuata and I also know it as Thread-winged Antlion. I didn't know it was a lacewing. Stunning looking insects aren't they.

You did better than we did last year with the snakes. I can't recall seeing any.

Now that your hooked I suspect that Lesvos will become an annual pilgrimage.:-O:t:

John

Hi Penny

Great read throughout. I am dead envious of your Rock Thrush. I have only ever seen two and they weren't great views with either of them.

The lacewing you have a picture of I just have down in my data base as Nemoptera sinuata and I also know it as Thread-winged Antlion. I didn't know it was a lacewing. Stunning looking insects aren't they.

You did better than we did last year with the snakes. I can't recall seeing any.

Now that your hooked I suspect that Lesvos will become an annual pilgrimage.:-O:t:

John
Hi John

Yes I was on a real high after seeing that rock thrush! I took loads of pictures of the lacewing, it was absolutely stunning. I had hoped to see more snakes than we did, they don't frighten me at all, now spiders thats altogether different!

Yep booked to go next year for 2 weeks this time!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Yo Penny, a wonderful read which brought back memories of our 5 trips out there. :t:

Many thanks

Stewart

PS Autumn can also be good there.

Yo Penny, a wonderful read which brought back memories of our 5 trips out there. :t:

Many thanks

Stewart

PS Autumn can also be good there.

Hi Stewart

Thank you:t:

Do you not go any more then?

Yes I would love to go in autumn too, in fact it would be quite nice to live there;)

Last edited:
Penny, I think your little red and black spider is a jumping spider, one of the family SALTICIDAE. It looks like Philaeus crysops (Poda, 1761)

This info is taken from the "Joachim Holstein Gallery of Color Photographs of Salticidae of Europe and Kenya"

http://salticidae.org/salticid/diagnost/philaeus/chry-hol-ph.htm

You can see its photograph here.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy
Hi Dave

Thank you very much:t: that definately looks like it!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back