• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucism in Blackbirds (1 Viewer)

Andy Lakin

I've had a leucistic male Blackbird coming in the garden sporadically for a few weeks. It has some white feathering on one side of its head. Today another leucistic male appeared with more extensive white feathering on both sides of its head. I know that its not mega rare but was surprised to get two different birds in. What are the odds of passing the leucism genes on? From a quick image search it appears that it affects the head area more frequently is that right? Also are they still recording plumage abnormalities such as this, as I know in the past they have done work on what species are affected and published the results.

I don't know about it mainly the head as I've seen birds with the leucistic element on different parts of their bodies.
It is a bit worrying that it seems to be more prevalent the last couple of years.

Strictly speaking are birds like this partially leucistic? I know in the past a lot of people said partially albino, which is obviously wrong. Also does the area/ extent of the leucism change with moult?

Strictly speaking are birds like this partially leucistic? I know in the past a lot of people said partially albino, which is obviously wrong. Also does the area/ extent of the leucism change with moult?
No such thing as partial leucism IMO, a bird is either leucistic or it's albino and I'd say that the individual feathers affected, will remain the same after moult.

here's a mobile phone photo of blackbird i saw a few years ago

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190523_095705.jpg
    thumbnail_20190523_095705.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail_20190523_095746.jpg
    thumbnail_20190523_095746.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi Andy,

No such thing as partial leucism IMO, a bird is either leucistic or it's albino and I'd say that the individual feathers affected, will remain the same after moult.

While I don't believe the term "partial leucism" is used, there are birds that are affected on all of their body as well as birds that are affected only on parts of their body. My impression is that the affected parts are not necessarily white, as there are birds that are predominantly brown which are counted as leucistic, too. (At least, they were by a scientist dealing with this topic in the German magazine "Vögel" a couple of years ago.)

Regards,

Henning

Thanks for the link as I didn't realise they were still recording plumage abnormalities. I now have 3 different leucistic Blackbirds visiting with 1 carrying food so I am looking forward to see if any of its young are affected if it breeds successfully.

Thanks for the link as I didn't realise they were still recording plumage abnormalities. I now have 3 different leucistic Blackbirds visiting with 1 carrying food so I am looking forward to see if any of its young are affected if it breeds successfully.
Don't see it as a particular problem Andy.

After an absence if c 6 months I now gave 2 leucistic male blackbirds visiting with 1 definitely new. I'm surprised that it is so regular round here. I know it isn't rare but I've not seen many others on my travels. It seems weird that the white feathering is restricted to the head area I wonder if the affected birds are related?

I saw the first of these birds about a mile from home in March 2014. A particularly smart one, I thought, all togged up for a formal dinner party with his white throat and a flash of white in his right wing. At the time there were a lot of blackbirds about, presumably migrants passing through on the way to the continent and I assumed it was one of them. Although the area is close to where I live, it's not one I frequent very much because while it's next to an area that's excellent for wildfowl and waders where I do go, its primary use is as an emptying-ground for what seems like every dog for miles around.

I thought nothing more of it other than as a one-off until this spring, 8 years later, when I came across the second bird less than 200 yards from the first bird's 2014 location. I got a few rather unsatisfactory shots that day, but I saw it again a fortnight ago and got some better shots. The similarities in plumage pattern, with the white throat and a right wing with almost all of the flight feathers white point me to the choice between it being either a coincidence too remarkable for words, or that the second bird is a descendant of the first, which may not have been migrating when I found it in 2014 after all.

Attachments

• Blackbird-(12)-fbook.jpg
    Blackbird-(12)-fbook.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Blackbird-(22)-fbook.jpg
    Blackbird-(22)-fbook.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Blackbird-(8)-fbook.jpg
    Blackbird-(8)-fbook.jpg
    792.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Blackbird-(29)-fbook.jpg
    Blackbird-(29)-fbook.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 6
I'm finding it really interesting at the moment watching the local blackbirds and the range in plumage . All of the birds affected by leucism have been male so far. It is surprising how varied the females are as well with some very streaky on the throat and one being very pale verging on being greyish. Personally I find it fascinating being able to track the comings and goings of the local birds. Apart from a Blackcap recently and a Redwing in, the garden has been dire even over the very cold spell.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back