• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucistic Canada Goose - Eastern Sweden (1 Viewer)

Antik

Sweden
Came across this peculiar looking goose feeding with Canada geese (Branta canadensis) in Gävle north of Stockholm, Sweden, today. Size and colouring similar to the Canada goose next to it except for the discoloured head and yellowish beak, which makes me wonder if this isn't some form of cross breed instead of leucism. Any comments would be appreciated!

Attachments

• canada geese.jpg
    canada geese.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 25
Hello Antik,
belated: welcome to birdforum!

I agree with you, its a leucistic Canada Goose and no hybrid.
Please note, that the white patch on the head has a normal shape for a pure Canada Goose (thanks Jörn once more!).

I have never seen a pure Canada Goose with a yellowish beak. And even a pure Canada Goose with a slightly paler (but still colourless blackish=very dark) bill is extremly rare. I have seen only a few before.

I just see a slightly paler grey band with a slight fleshy tinge on the bill on my actual device. But the fleshy hue is just guesable and much fainter than the pinkish tongue.
Is this enough to suspect an hybrid, with Greylag the usual suspect? Err, I think no. And I am not sure, this is enhanced by artefacts.

No offence you know. Colurs and shades can regular be judged with much more confidence in the field and when this Goose had some yellow on the bill than it is so.

And I hope as always for more comments. Thanks!

Hello Antik,
belated: welcome to birdforum!

I agree with you, its a leucistic Canada Goose and no hybrid.
Please note, that the white patch on the head has a normal shape for a pure Canada Goose (thanks Jörn once more!).

I have never seen a pure Canada Goose with a yellowish beak. And even a pure Canada Goose with a slightly paler (but still colourless blackish=very dark) bill is extremly rare. I have seen only a few before.

I just see a slightly paler grey band with a slight fleshy tinge on the bill on my actual device. But the fleshy hue is just guesable and much fainter than the pinkish tongue.
Is this enough to suspect an hybrid, with Greylag the usual suspect? Err, I think no. And I am not sure, this is enhanced by artefacts.

No offence you know. Colurs and shades can regular be judged with much more confidence in the field and when this Goose had some yellow on the bill than it is so.

And I hope as always for more comments. Thanks!
Dear Alexander,

Thank you for the considerate reply. The impression of yellowish tinge in the beak only stroke me from the photo rather than the field. I do have a couple of other shots too where the colour shows even less. A more experienced observer next to me was also inclined to call it a leucistic bird so I am happy to stick to that.

Best,
Antti

I can't discern any color in the bill other than black. It's possible that the camera is hiding some difference from the normal-for-Canada shade of black, but I don't see anything close to "yellowish" here.

It's possible for hybrids (e.g. white-fronted x canada) to have very dark bills, but it's rare.

I place most reliance on the point that the cheek-patch has a normal shape for a Canada. In hybrids this is usually broader, touching the eye.
So my guess is that it's simply a leucistic Canada.

Do you have any other photos? The bird's posture makes it look a little droop-bellied. If it still looks droop-bellied when in the same posture as its neighbor, then I'd have to consider that as a possible sign of domestic parentage.

Dear narteb,

Adding the remaining 2 pics. As mentioned above, yellow impression I got is likely just artefact from the inside of the open mouth. Thank you for your contribution!

Best,
Antti

Attachments

• P3232818.JPG
    P3232818.JPG
    587.5 KB · Views: 12
  • P3232819.JPG
    P3232819.JPG
    937.4 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back