• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light olive/chartreuse green bird AZ (1 Viewer)

I just cannot identify this one! It is a very small green bird, (almost all green) with a shock of bright red/fusia on top of the head. I am in Northern Arizona, February.

Could it be Green-tailed Towhee? It would help if you can say more about what the bird was doing, what habitat it was in and how small it is compared to other birds (e.g. sparrow sized, warbler sized, thrush sized).

OK, I will do better in subsequent posts regarding other characteristics.
INFO: I am in desert in N. AZ. The bird is very shy of other birds it seems. It seems to prefer my suet over the seeds. Perhaps because most birds I have go to the seed. It seems like a chickidee size. About warbler I think but thinner. Not so robust

OK, I will do better in subsequent posts regarding other characteristics.
INFO: I am in desert in N. AZ. The bird is very shy of other birds it seems. It seems to prefer my suet over the seeds. Perhaps because most birds I have go to the seed. It seems like a chickidee size. About warbler I think but thinner. Not so robust
Maybe Orange-crowned Warbler? Is the red/orange really obvious all the time or is it sometimes hard to see?

It depends on the race, sex, and behavior, but the orange on the crown of an Orange-crowned Warbler is very often hard (or impossible) to see and I am not sure one would ever call it a "shock of bright red/fuchsia". All I can suggest is to look again at Ruby-crowned Kinglet; I can't think of another bird that fits the description nearly as well.

I did look at that one and unfortunately it doesnt match. The red/fusia color is always present and its nearly a neon type of color. Its stunning.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back