• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight Tripod for travelscope- Any Ideas? (1 Viewer)

moondog

Moondog
I have a secondary smaller scope for travelling and just wondered if anybody had any reccomendations for a reasonably good quality lightweight tripod that is scope-worthy but light enough to lash to a rucksack. I am trying to delay the onset of customary "stoop" that develops through dragging optics and tripods on long hikes. It's either that or more upper body work in the gym but then I end up obstructing views and taking up 3 windows in hides!!

:stuck:
Cheers

moondog

moondog said:
I have a secondary smaller scope for travelling and just wondered if anybody had any reccomendations for a reasonably good quality lightweight tripod that is scope-worthy but light enough to lash to a rucksack. I am trying to delay the onset of customary "stoop" that develops through dragging optics and tripods on long hikes. It's either that or more upper body work in the gym but then I end up obstructing views and taking up 3 windows in hides!!

:stuck:
Cheers

moondog

Depends how much you want to spend and the size (OG lens) of your secondary scope - also whether you want a fluid head system or a good 3-way mechanical head - 3 section or 4 section for travelling.

Eg For starters theManfrotto 718b for around £69 is a good lighweight 4 section tripod

PYRTLE said:
Depends how much you want to spend and the size (OG lens) of your secondary scope - also whether you want a fluid head system or a good 3-way mechanical head - 3 section or 4 section for travelling.

Eg For starters theManfrotto 718b for around £69 is a good lighweight 4 section tripod

Thanks Pyrtle

Sorry, missed out some pretty essential details!!! My travel scope is 52mm Objective and weighs about 650g I have another scope that I'd might want to occaisionally use on it 60 mm OL and about 1.5kg. Budget : up to £100GBP and as good a head as I can get in that price bracket.

Currently got a Velbon Delta which is superb but a struggle over 9 mile hikes weighing 2kg on top of everything else. Am I being realistic?

PYRTLE said:

I've got the Delta Travel Pod (by SLIK) available from infocus (http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/reviews_tripods.html) for £69. My scope is about 750g. It's a great bit of kit, lightweight (1kg), smooth easy to use head and goes in a 35ltr daysack with my scope and bins for transporting. Only downside is it gives a bit of shake in strong winds, but I think that is to be expected from such a lightweight tripod.

adw73uk said:
I've got the Delta Travel Pod (by SLIK) available from infocus (http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/reviews_tripods.html) for £69. My scope is about 750g. It's a great bit of kit, lightweight (1kg), smooth easy to use head and goes in a 35ltr daysack with my scope and bins for transporting. Only downside is it gives a bit of shake in strong winds, but I think that is to be expected from such a lightweight tripod.

Thanks adw73uk, I will be near an Infocus this weekend so I'll check that out thanks for the tip. Not so bothered about a bit of shake in such conditions, I expected such a tradeoff. Having a 45 degree eyepiece means I can get away with setting it lower, making it a tad more stable. Got the Daysack, just need the bungee to lash it to. Thanks again. MoonDog

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back