• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Liverbird Watching and Nature Discovery Cruises (1 Viewer)

Just wondered what to do after the cruise on Saturday. i will have a few hours spare. I will be driving form East Lancs to South Manchester to pick a friend up and then to Liverpool. He will want to do some bird photgraphy and watching, i will just want to do watching.

Would it be better to drive upto marshside then back to Manchester or to Burton Mere and then to Manchester? Marshside would be better as the birds are always so much closer.

One thing that would change the place I will go are rarities. Are there any other places around Liverpool to go to for birds?

Might be worth asking Jane Turner about sites on the west side of the Mersey. On the east side Crosby Marina and Formby might get something, but later in the day both would get busy and birds may well move on.

Stephen

I might just head up to Corsby, Formby then Marshside. The Wirral might need a day in it self.

Might be worth asking Jane Turner about sites on the west side of the Mersey. On the east side Crosby Marina and Formby might get something, but later in the day both would get busy and birds may well move on.

Stephen

Nice trip out again. A beautiful day with a bit of rain. Worse than the last trip in terms of bird species seen.

4 Peregrines
Knot
Sanderling
Oystercatcher
Curlew
Redshank (not seen by me)
Turnstone (might have only been seen by a few on a buoy and not announced on annoy, I think)
3 Great Crested Grebe flying out at sea
Great Black-Backed Gull
Herring Gull
Common Gull
Black-headed Gull
Kittiwake (not seen by me)
Cormorant
Starling
Meadow Pipit (most likely - out in the bay flying over)
Pied Wagtail
Woodpigeon
Pink-footed Geese

A highlight was a Porpoise but I never saw it. Tha would have been a first for me.

Very enjoyable going out in the bay and one cant force the wildlife to come to you. The crew and volunteers do try very hard but one complaint I have is that their is a lack of organisation as far as sightings are concerned. This trip was definitely worse then the last trip in that respect. It can be very hard to pick up a small bird when they say it is on the Wirral side. I hope I in no way sound ungrateful as I know many would have been volunteers and not the most experienced in some cases. Some sightings were not even picked up by the watchers. I am not sure i would ever go again more to do with the price of the ticket and the travel costs than the lack of organisation though.

I did go off to Formby and Marshside. It was nice show some someone new to the country around. It is hard to believe it has been 3 1/2 years almost since I last visited Formby and how beautiful it is there. I do wonder to myself why I do not visit more often. My friend was very impressed with the ferry trip, Formby and Marshside. There is a high tide walk organised by the RSPB next week. I will go to the Hesketh Out Marsh one.

It was good to meet sleipnerofasgard, TerryL and tigertom out there. Did anyone else go?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back