• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Liverbird Watching and Nature Discovery Cruises (1 Viewer)

I don't think you can complain that the wildlife 'was poor'. It's either there or it's not. The tannoyman did his best to keep people's interest on what was a very quiet day on the bird/mammal front & yes, we did see one of the Grey Seals.

We were on this aswell. Thought the cruise was good. As for the wildlife we thought it was poor. The one who thinks she must be obeyed gave up after halfway through. Of all the sightings that came over the tannoy I think we managed to see a couple of them. Did anybody manage to see the Grey Seals that tannoyman kept reporting hmmm. The best one was ' there's a common tern going behind the wind turbines' these were about two miles away. Don't think we will be going on another cruise. A lot of people who were near to us when tannoyman gave sightings were thinking Jackanory. We were really looking forward to this, oh well. Didn't win a prize in the raffle either aaargh hahaha.

I was a spotter on the top deck with tannoyman but i have to say i was disappointed that we couldn't get a Arctic Skua (of which there have been several out by the wind farm recently). We didn't even get Gannet or Common Scoter. Only two tern sightings was also very disappointing.

I missed the seals myself. There were a couple of other spotters on the main deck who shouted those out to the tannoyman. His name was Chris, Liverpool RSPB group leader.

I met Himalaya on board, but i didn't spot you Ray. The weather plays a key role in these cruises, some have been really good while others have been quiet (like this trip).

CB

Got the first Grey Seal but thats it. Wildlife was poor but you cant tell wildlife what to do and where to show. It gave me a very different view of Liverpool and the Mersey so in a way it was worth it. I did not get any firsts on the trip and I have yet to see some birds.

I think what would have made it easier is a clock system. When they kept saying it was on the Wirral side I would htink to myself "it is not 10 metres long!"

I did not realise that Tern was a Common one. In fact one of the guys near by where I was standing spotted some more Sandwich Terns which the tannoy had not announced.

I nearly won a raffle ticket. I could choose between white and blue strip but I chose the latter. One of my numbers came up and it was on a white strip though.

I think they need better organisation!

We were on this aswell. Thought the cruise was good. As for the wildlife we thought it was poor. The one who thinks she must be obeyed gave up after halfway through. Of all the sightings that came over the tannoy I think we managed to see a couple of them. Did anybody manage to see the Grey Seals that tannoyman kept reporting hmmm. The best one was ' there's a common tern going behind the wind turbines' these were about two miles away. Don't think we will be going on another cruise. A lot of people who were near to us when tannoyman gave sightings were thinking Jackanory. We were really looking forward to this, oh well. Didn't win a prize in the raffle either aaargh hahaha.

Nice to meet you again! It is easy to spot me - I do stick out dont I? LOL

Going on one of these trips is a gamble. If your heart is set on seeing something "special" one could find that they could be easily disappointed. I will be very likely to go on a second trip again!

Must be quite hard to be a spotter - constantly scanning and then not much. It would do my head in.

Did you get anything at BMW and IMF?

I was a spotter on the top deck with tannoyman but i have to say i was disappointed that we couldn't get a Arctic Skua (of which there have been several out by the wind farm recently). We didn't even get Gannet or Common Scoter. Only two tern sightings was also very disappointing.

I missed the seals myself. There were a couple of other spotters on the main deck who shouted those out to the tannoyman. His name was Chris, Liverpool RSPB group leader.

I met Himalaya on board, but i didn't spot you Ray. The weather plays a key role in these cruises, some have been really good while others have been quiet (like this trip).

CB

Seals regularly sit on the sandbanks to the west as you come out of the Mersey, I wouldn't have thought they would have to resort to 'Jackanory'!

Stephen

No, they were being reported as showing in the water. Some times things were being reported on the left instead of the right and vice versa. I know the RSPB are providing volounteers but the information as to be correct. Some information was usefull, but.

Just like to say that when a call was put out, me and the boss as she thinks and some serious birders, by the looks of the equipment, had a look through binoculars and scopes and didn't see anything. I know the weather plays a part but after a while when a shout out was put out over the tannoy people near us were ignoring it. There wasn't anybody near us who saw a seal despite the shout outs. Would have liked to have seen one.

Must be quite hard to be a spotter - constantly scanning and then not much. It would do my head in.

Did you get anything at BMW and IMF?

Yes it did my head in not seeing anything. I missed the seals myself soi'm glad you saw them Himalaya.

Didn't stay long on Saturday but went back on Sunday. Found a Curlew Sandpiper and also saw White-fronted Goose and Med Gull so worth a trip back. Got the Pec Sand from the IMF hide. Have you had an ID for the spider?

CB

There wasn't anybody near us who saw a seal despite the shout outs. Would have liked to have seen one.

If you go out to Hilbre island at low tide you can see the large colony roosting on the mudbanks very easily. As the tide comes in the disperse but you can usually find a few loafing around the island. I've regularly seen them from Red Rocks at high tide.

CB

Not yet no! I forgot about the Spider. is nt that early for WF Goose?

Yes it did my head in not seeing anything. I missed the seals myself soi'm glad you saw them Himalaya.

Didn't stay long on Saturday but went back on Sunday. Found a Curlew Sandpiper and also saw White-fronted Goose and Med Gull so worth a trip back. Got the Pec Sand from the IMF hide. Have you had an ID for the spider?

CB

No, they were being reported as showing in the water. Some times things were being reported on the left instead of the right and vice versa. I know the RSPB are providing volounteers but the information as to be correct. Some information was usefull, but.

The volunteers work very hard to get these cruises put on giving up so much of their time. If you think your skills could be of use then please put your name forward for volunteering www.rspb.org.uk/volunteering

The volunteers work very hard to get these cruises put on giving up so much of their time. If you think your skills could be of use then please put your name forward for volunteering www.rspb.org.uk/volunteering

I know how hard it can be, I have just got back from doing a long weekend volunteering. I don't have any more extra time to do more volunteering. But if you want to subsidise me maybe I could take early retirement or at least work part time then I could do more than I do now ;)

I would love to volunteer at the RSPB or similar conservation charity at leat a couple of days per month. In fact i would love to work full time paid. I hate my current job. People say working in the voluntary sector does not pay well but who says working for a multi-national business does?

I spoke to an RSPB worker in the Forest of Bowland and they said this is my office. I looked at the beautiful valley and thought wow. Anyway........lets move on ..

Is anyone going to the second trip around the 13th? I am tempted! There must be a better chance to see some rarer more unusual birds?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back