• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local bird tour guide Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

thehawk7

Hi
i wanted to avoid the TUI trips and approach a local birding guide/company can anyone recommend for the South area of Sri Lanka please. I do have an offer of a day in Sinharaja for $180 not sure if that’s good or bad?
thanks a lot Rob

I did a low cost tour with Baurs some years ago. The driver guide had all the tapes and knew all the sites though he wasn't a full on birder but I got everything apart from the two Owls which I didn't really try to hard for.

I did a low cost tour with Baurs some years ago. The driver guide had all the tapes and knew all the sites though he wasn't a full on birder but I got everything apart from the two Owls which I didn't really try to hard for.
Snap. "Driver guides" are good. Ours found the leopard and 2 cubs which 2 other tours had driven straight past...

Hey,

We went with 'Walk With Jith' back in '13 and had a great week with his Driver/Guide Nandana. Did a few sites incl Yala, Bundala and Sinharaja. The latter being absolutely magical.
This is a small Sri Lankan company.
I would echo the need for leech socks, the little creatures are absolutely everywhere and will hang off all the vegetation at the edge of the forest trails trying to snag you. I was bloodied a few times.
We stayed in Martin's Lodge, which is pretty basic but has everything you would need and we loved it.
Another trick was to put a line of salt under the door to stop the leeches coming in at night, and you had mozzy nets to sleep under too.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back