• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local Leica Ultravid or imported SW CL 10x25? (1 Viewer)

Anderlfs

Brazil
Hello to everyone. I'm looking to purchase a compact binocular (10x25) and the main criteria is a good usable eye relief, the second durability, budget US$1K. I tested the Leica UV 10x25 in a local store near home, which really impressed me, but I thought the eye relief (15mm, 14mm usable) could be a little better. So I started to consider the Swarovski CL which has a greater eye relief (17mm, 15mm usable). The problem is that I can't test this brand and I would have to import It. My first concern is about decollimation along the way. Is It really a concern with little roofs? Does anyone have experience with optics-trade.eu store (if they reinforce the package against shocks, etc.)?

Actually, even though they are from the best brands, I did read some reports of problems with the diopter on the Leicas pocket and many about the rubber covering on Swarovski, one being specific to the CL 8x25. I don´t know which is worse, but I think the rubber covering is chronic because It's in the nature of the material. Anyone with swarovski for longer time and no sign of damage to the rubber cover?

I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks in advance.
Edit: scope reduction to receive more accurate feedback.

Last edited:
Hello to everyone. I'm looking to purchase a compact binocular (10x25) and the main criteria is a good usable eye relief, the second durability, budget US$1K. I tested the Leica UV 10x25 in a local store near home, which really impressed me, but I thought the eye relief (15mm, 14mm usable) could be a little better. So I started to consider the Swarovski CL which has a greater eye relief (17mm, 15mm usable). The problem is that I can't test this brand and I would have to import It. My first concern is about decollimation along the way. Is It really a concern with little roofs? Does anyone have experience with optics-trade.eu store (if they reinforce the package against shocks, etc.)?

Actually, even though they are from the best brands, I did read some reports of problems with the diopter on the Leicas pocket and many about the rubber covering on Swarovski, one being specific to the CL 8x25. I don´t know which is worse, but I think the rubber covering is chronic because It's in the nature of the material. Anyone with swarovski for longer time and no sign of damage to the rubber cover?

I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks in advance.
Edit: scope reduction to receive more accurate feedback.

Since you are willing to spend $1000 on a pocket IMO it should work well for you in all respects. So you can probably scratch the UV off your list without even considering possible diopter issues. I do find that a 1 mm difference in usable eye relief can make a lot of difference, in my case 13 mm results in difficult eye placement and a very slight loss of FOV whereas 14 mm works perfectly well with my glasses .

I have had several SW EL including FPs and the 8x25 CL for @ 8+ years with no armor deterioration even with regular use in humid conditions but others have had unfortunate experiences as reported elsewhere.

Don't worry too much about decollimation / shipping just make sure, as always when ordering online, that the vendor has a good return policy.

Good luck with the Quest and let us know how it goes.

Mike

If you’re in the US, bhphoto.com has both bins (and the Zeiss vp 10x25 with 16.5mm relief and better ergronomics). But in any case, no, shipping should not effect collimation, or nearly all of us would be out of luck.

I have the original version CL 30 with no hint of armor deterioration. I've crossed paths with a few older SLCs: no hint of rubber problems.

I thank you both. From what I read, the most recent Swarovski CL's were the ones that had problems due to changes in the formula to make the rubber biodegradable, but they are aware of the problems and working on it.

I ruled out the Zeiss Victory Pocket due to the many reports of the diopter knob coming off. I was about to buy It because I imagined that, in my innocence, I would just put the button back on, with some glue, it's not what you expect from a Made in Japan, but Ok, all for the good optics. But right now I received a feedback from a user in another thread that It’s necessary to send it to a repair service, which in my case would be overseas. No way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back