• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lochore Meadows (1 Viewer)

Tomwbhx

I need to retire! ....oh I have!
United Kingdom
It's been almost a year now since we made the big move to Scotland and Fife. We are spoilt for choice for birding, there are so many places to go all within 30 minutes of our house, so much so we neglect our local patch, we have only visited on average once a month! So the aim of this first post for Lochore is to put that right!

So currently our year list for Lochore stands at 62, not huge I know but it's a start, we intend to bird a lot more there in 2022! So this is our current 2021 list in order of when we first saw them. With Whooper & Redwing being the last on 17/11/21. It would be great if there are others out there who could contribute to keeping a record of what's about around the Loch and Meadows.

Wigeon
Teal
Mallard
Goldeneye
Grey Heron
Little Grebe
Green Sandpiper
Black-headed Gull
Rock Dove / Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Robin
Goldfinch
Reed Bunting
Mute Swan
Pink-footed Goose
Greylag Goose
Tufted Duck
Buzzard
Moorhen
Coot
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Chaffinch
Gadwall
Goosander
Cormorant
Common Gull
Herring Gull
Rook
Coal Tit
Dunnock
Siskin
Yellowhammer
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Jackdaw
Treecreeper
Pied Wagtail
Pochard
Great Crested Grebe
Shelduck
Common Sandpiper
Sand Martin
Swallow
Chiffchaff
Starling
Meadow Pipit
Shoveler
Sparrowhawk
Song Thrush
Bullfinch
Osprey
Willow Warbler
Wren
Kestrel
Water Rail
Jay
Whooper Swan
Redwing

It's been almost a year now since we made the big move to Scotland and Fife. We are spoilt for choice for birding, there are so many places to go all within 30 minutes of our house, so much so we neglect our local patch, we have only visited on average once a month! So the aim of this first post for Lochore is to put that right!

So currently our year list for Lochore stands at 62, not huge I know but it's a start, we intend to bird a lot more there in 2022! So this is our current 2021 list in order of when we first saw them. With Whooper & Redwing being the last on 17/11/21. It would be great if there are others out there who could contribute to keeping a record of what's about around the Loch and Meadows.

Wigeon
Teal
Mallard
Goldeneye
Grey Heron
Little Grebe
Green Sandpiper
Black-headed Gull
Rock Dove / Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Robin
Goldfinch
Reed Bunting
Mute Swan
Pink-footed Goose
Greylag Goose
Tufted Duck
Buzzard
Moorhen
Coot
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Chaffinch
Gadwall
Goosander
Cormorant
Common Gull
Herring Gull
Rook
Coal Tit
Dunnock
Siskin
Yellowhammer
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Jackdaw
Treecreeper
Pied Wagtail
Pochard
Great Crested Grebe
Shelduck
Common Sandpiper
Sand Martin
Swallow
Chiffchaff
Starling
Meadow Pipit
Shoveler
Sparrowhawk
Song Thrush
Bullfinch
Osprey
Willow Warbler
Wren
Kestrel
Water Rail
Jay
Whooper Swan
Redwing
You should be getting a Smew there soon. They usually frequent the SW corner.

We'll look forward to that, haven't seen a Smew for a number of years, last one was at Loch Kinnordy.
Loch Ore has been fairly reliable for Smew in recent years, although I can't remember if there was one there last year. They can turn up at Loch Gelly, but the best place in Fife for them seems to be Cameron Reservoir. There were certainly two there last year.

Looking at your list, both Fieldfare and Mistle Thrush should be showing soon. Crossbill are a possibility at the west end, and I have had Pintail a few times on the small ponds from the hide.

After a busy start to the year, we made our first short visit to the west end of the Loch. We only had a couple of hours and picked up 34 species to start the 2022 list. We intend to visit at least once a week as we like to go up to Loch Leven and visit the Firth coast too, so this is the list to start off... (nothing exciting.... yet!!)
1 Starling
2 Woodpigeon
3 Feral Pigeon
4 Pied Wagtail
5 House Sparrow
6 Great Tit
7 Blue Tit
8 Chaffinch
9 Magpie
10 Blackbird
11 Robin
12 Carrion Crow
13 Greylag Goose
14 Pink-footed Goose
15 Mute Swan
16 Mallard
17 Little Grebe
18 Teal
19 Moorhen
20 Goldcrest
21 Mistle Thrush
22 Coal Tit
23 Long-tailed Tit
24 Buzzard
25 Goldeneye
26 Cormorant
27 Tufted Duck
28 Wigeon
29 Coot
30 Bullfinch
31 Siskin
32 Grey Heron
33 Rook
34 Black-headed Gull

It's a start!

Looks like my assurances of a Loch Ore Smew have misfired. There has been a drake Smew at Cameron reservoir, with the bonus of a Black-Necked Grebe also being present.

Had hoped to visit more, but second month of the year and one more walk. This time a full circuit, including a visit to the hide, where we were able to add Gadwall to the year list and bring the Lochore list up to 39.

35. Gadwall
36. Oystercatcher
37. Herring Gull
38. Jackdaw
39. Song Thrush

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back