• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long or Short Billed Dowitcher, FL (1 Viewer)

Vipers

Brunswick Birder
These photos were taken of a flock of Dowitchers feeding on the shore at Fort de Soto, Florida. Can anyone please confirm if they are Long or Short Billed or both?

Attachments

• Dowitcher, Fort de Soto 1.jpg
    Dowitcher, Fort de Soto 1.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Dowitchers & Turnstone, Fort de Soto 1.jpg
    Dowitchers & Turnstone, Fort de Soto 1.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Dowitchers, Fort de Soto 1.jpg
    Dowitchers, Fort de Soto 1.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Dowitchers, Fort de Soto 3.jpg
    Dowitchers, Fort de Soto 3.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 83
They are Short-billed Dowitchers, Gary: relatively pale breast, pale flanks, prominent whitish fringes on wing coverts, no obvious dark marks on scapulars, relatively flat back.

The default dowitcher at Ft. DeSoto is Short-billed, especially after migration has ended. Identifying silent winter plumage dowitchers in the filed is near impossible, although there are some tendencies, such as those mentioned by smiths.

Andy

My understanding:

One clinching ID point (which is often not even visible) is the kink at the tip of the bill. Long-billed dowitchers bills are perfectly straight, so if you can see the kink you can call it a short-billed. This method is a bit subjective but can be used in these photos I think. That way you can sometimes tell if you have a short-billed but the other way around, identifying long-billed dowitchers, is more difficult in my opinion.

The more i look at Dowitchers the more confused i get, i,d have said these were long billed, these pics are put up as Short Billed-note the markings on the primaries

Attachments

• dowitcher-short-billed-2871-33pc.jpg
    dowitcher-short-billed-2871-33pc.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 63
The more i look at Dowitchers the more confused i get, i,d have said these were long billed, these pics are put up as Short Billed-note the markings on the primaries

Those are juvenile Short-billed. The long visible dark feathers with rufous markings are tertials not primaries. Shorebirds often have very long tertials. Short-billed Dowitcher has rufous interior markings on these feathers: Long-billed has rufous only on the feather edges. These are the easiest to ID. BAsic plumage is another story.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back