• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longer duration recordings (1 Viewer)

spl1970

Simon
Hello all,
I'm new to recording and have been trying my hand at nogmig. I have a Zoom H4N Pro and have managed to get some initial sounds recorded over night.
The issue I'm frustrated by is the maximum time/file size I'm getting.
Is there a setting that will allow me to record all night?
This morning my recorder said 'Card Full' but in reality it had just maxed out at one file of 2.1GB and one at 0.8GB (It's a 16GB card).
Any help would be gratefully received.
Cheers,
Simon

The manual states that it will record more than 2 Gb in stereo or 4 channel mode, but isn't exactly clear if that continues up to card capacity. I have one on test to see what it does overnight. In this case it is running on an 8Gb card but that will be enough for the test.

The specification section of the manual states that the maximum file size for a recording is 2GB, so I suspect that recording stops when this limit is hit (iveljay will be able to confirm after his experiment).

The option would be to record in a different format. Reading the manual I think the lowest wave format would be 44.1KHz 16bit, and that you can record in mono so you should get circa 6 hours of recording time. This is CD quality so more than enough for nocmigging. The other option would be to record in MP3 format. Even at the highest bit rate of 320kbps, you would get circa 13 hours of stereo recording, prior to hitting the 2GB limit. I think MP3 recording would be fine for nocmigging.

Not sure what the 2GB limit is all about, but it seems quite common. Even with my passive recorders designed for long deployments, the max file size is 2GB but with these recorder a new file is created and recording continues when this limit is reached.

It filled my 8Mb card with 4 files. Three at 2Mb and the final of about 1.5 Mb.

I was running this in stereo mode using its built in microphones. It does state in the manual (in only one place) that only stereo mode or 4 channel mode will record more than 2 Mb.

I don't know what mode you were using, but if you were recording in mono, it might explain things. Regrettably there is only limited consistency in the way different recorders can be configured.

I was recording in 96KHz/24 bit format, as I was just testing for card capacity, but obviously 44.1/16 would be a more normal approach for extended recording.

Not sure if this helps, but it has extended my understanding of the H4N Pro.

J

Running another experiment this evening/night. To see if I can persuade a single feed on channel 1 to record more than 2 Gb.

Using a genuine Zoom AD-14 power supply (yes - a hens tooth - a genuine UK model with 3 pins!) as I am running phantom power as well.
(Set up using a conventional dynamic microphone with a fet-head pre-amp on 48v phantom power, this has nothing to do with your experiment but if you can run 2 tests simultaneously it makes sense and will not influence the result either way.) Its a combination a lot more common with Tascam DR-40s as their pre-amps struggle with dynamic mics.

I have a Zoom H2n & a Zoom H5, both split long recordings up in to 2gb files but carry on recording until either the card fills up or the batteries go flat. Both have stopped recording after one file for no obvious reason, but I think they've both only done it once so I'd just try again & see what happens - it would be worth formatting the card too.

Running as before in stereo mode, but with 1/2 Link - On and Mono Mix - On it quite happily produced the same result (i.e. filling the card with 4 files) as before from a single mic plugged into Input 1and selected.

I would agree with Dave that formatting the card in the recorder, not a computer, makes sense. It may also be worth checking that the System Firmware is up to date, it is currently at Version 1.10, I expect yours came with it already installed, but if is anything lower its worth the upgrade as it might have been a factor.

Not sure what the result would have been without 1/2 link and Mono Mix being set.

The recorder is not made for unattended recording, can't find anyhing in the manual which iis pointing towards this feature.

Not entirely sure what you mean by unattended operation other than letting it run until either the power or card capacity runs out.

I would agree that the manual isn't terribly helpful, but the clues are there and knowing the foibles of other Zoom recorders the parameter settings I tested will allow my recorder to run until the memory card is full, power obviously not being a factor in my test case.

Page 139 of the manual states that the file capacity limit is 2 GB (If a recording exceeds 2 GB, a new file will be created when recording in STEREO and 4CH modes.) This covers both internal and inputs 1&2 operating in stereo mode.

Pages 71 and 72 cover 1/2 link and mono mix functions so that you can mix a mono input into a linked stereo track, there is only one catch insofar as you have to set these in the correct sequence, if it wont let you set them both, then simply reverse the order.

You can confirm what settings are available in STEREO Mode in the table on Page 140.

The Zoom R8 manual is so helpful to the new user that someone has published a book explaining how to do many things that he considers are unclear or missed out.

Just what you write in the first line. I don't have a zoom, so I downloaded the manual. My native is not English, so may be I misread a part. I do have a Tascam DR-60DMkII and there is a lot more about unattended operation. The 2Gb is a file limit in the operating systems.

Each manufacturer has their own way of doing things and within their product lines there are more variations to meet the technical needs of specific users or to keep the price to a level they hope the intended customer can afford.

It is perhaps regrettable that while Zoom do correctly state that the maximum file size is 2 Gb, they possibly do not make it clear enough that in certain common configurations the Zoom H4N Pro can continuously record to a chain of 2Gb files, to the limit of the capacity of the SD card.

Olympus, for example, make it very clear in their LS-P4 manual that this recorder will continuously record up to 200, 2Gb files. I must admit I havn't tested this particular limit!

Other recorders may not have this facility and possibly may only record to a 2Gb limit.
As I only have a limited number of recorders in use at any time I can only accurately comment on how these perform. I do not own a DR-60DMkII so unfortunately cannot meaningfully discuss its performance.

J

Its just that different manufacturers seem to handle it differently, Olympus have a numeric limit on the number of chained 2Gb files and I seem to remember at least one Tascam recorder has a 24 hr limit on continuous recording. My ancient Sony HD video camera has a similar 2GB file limit, but again chains the files to produce a respectable continuous recording capability.
Its a bit like all the variations of the Android or Linux operating systems, they are basically the same but people 'improve' them to meet their own specific needs.
Its always adisable to run tests before any critical recording session if you are trying something you havn't done before with that equipment, especially if you are reliant on batteries.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back