• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longshots from Georgia (country) (2 Viewers)

Val35

Hi, not sure at all it is possible to make a definite ID out of those pics but still giving it a try...Both pics take in Georgia (Batumi area) in mid-September last year.
The first is a warbler but not sure at all what exactly...Marsh ? an Iduna ?
For the second, I saw a number of Turkestan ST Larks reported from the area while I was there...I saw some definite Greater ST larks but I don't know much about this new species and I wondered if it could be one.
Thanks

DSCN4634.JPG DSCN4635.JPGDSCN4811.JPG

About the warbler, I quickly thought of Booted Warbler in the field. I then saw that several have been reported from Batumi/North East Turkey in September.
Unfortunately the bird was extremely difficult to see, constantly hiding in those bushes...pretty sure it was still there the next day but couldn't get better views.

The warbler is an Iduna but difficult to say whether caligata or - probably not so likely - rama. The second is a Greater Short-toed Lark - note the largely white, unstreaked underside...

The warbler is an Iduna but difficult to say whether caligata or - probably not so likely - rama. The second is a Greater Short-toed Lark - note the largely white, unstreaked underside...

I didn't consider Syke's Warbler on range but anything is possible there on migration...
Thanks, I didn't really know what were the fieldmarks for Turkestan ST Lark.

That's a long primary projection for either Booted or Sykes's. I would say an Acrocephalus and probably Reed Warbler.

Brian

My first impression was Acro but then the notched tail and rather spindly, pale greyish legs led me towards Iduna. I find it difficult to assess the pp or emaginations with confidence on these photos...

Structure (tail, undertail coverts, apparently long p1) and tones look like Iduna to me as well, not sure what to make of the # of emarginations though. Primary projection fine for EOW but again, emarginations!

Yes, I can now see there are also white edges to the tail 😉
Seriously though, I'm not talking about anything certain from these images, but I just can't reconcile this structure with an Acro.
Also, in the 2nd pic especially I can see hints of a pale secondary panel and pale edges to the GCs. Also pro-Iduna.

It seems to me that EOWs leave their breeding grounds pretty early in the season no ? In August ?

Anyways, thanks to everyone for taking a look at those terrible pics ;)
It will stay as warbler sp. I guess !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back