• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible little grebe? River Almond, Edinburgh (2 Viewers)

louisk

United Kingdom
Hi folks!

Yesterday I was watching a cormorant, grey heron, dipper and some mallards all hanging out next to each other on the River Almond near Edinburgh.
As I was watching the mallards, a tiny bird suddenly swam up next to them from around a lil island in the river. I didn't get a good look, but I believe there has been a Little Grebe in that area. Are there any other possibilities? It was:
  • Probably smaller than a coot, made me think it was a chick of some species, but it had no fluff of a chick. It was near the mallards but absolutely not a mallard chick. Only other waterbirds around were those mentioned above.
  • Impression was of brown colouration, didn't get binoculars up. I could definitely believe little grebe based on pictures.
  • Longish neck, looked very slim.
  • It dived in an arc like a merganser after a few seconds and I never saw it again, despite watching for another 10 mins and returning to that same area 45 mins later.
  • My partner saw the exact same thing a couple months ago in the same river. Same story - tiny, brown, dived, never seen again.

Could this be anything except a Little Grebe?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back