• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for IDs, Carara, Costa Rica (2 Viewers)

Tonkin14

Hello,

First post in years. I recently did quite a bit of birding in Costa Rica, and have a number of birds for which I am hesitant to settle on an ID, as almost all the birds on this trip were new to me. These photos were taken in Carara National Park on June 19. First photo I think is a Streak-chested antpitta. Photos 2 and 5 are two separate trogons, but I'm not sure if Gartered or Black-throated. Not sure which Tinamou is pictured in the last photo. All others I haven't narrowed down. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• CNP 6.JPG
    CNP 6.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 30
  • CNP 7.JPG
    CNP 7.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 31
  • CNP 8.JPG
    CNP 8.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 29
  • CNP 1.JPG
    CNP 1.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 32
  • CNP 2.JPG
    CNP 2.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 30
  • CNP 3.JPG
    CNP 3.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 27
  • CNP 4.JPG
    CNP 4.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 24
  • CNP 5.JPG
    CNP 5.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 27
1 Streak-chested
2 Despite appearances, female black-throated, I think (unpatterned wing coverts, rufous in tail). Assume lighting makes it look black
3 Perhaps ruddy-tailed flycatcher (bill, general, head colour)
4 One of the Sulphur-bellied, black-tailed, tawny-breasted flycatchers. I think Sulphur-bellied even though I don't see long rictal bristles (belly colour, lack of strongly differently coloured tail)
5 Male black-throated (eye ring, bill colour etc)
6 Band-tailed barb-throat (with invisible band)
7 Chestnut-backed antbird (dark head brown back)
8 Since it's not little, has to be great (distribution, patterning)

Thank you for the IDs! Curious what others say about the flycatchers--I am terrible at IDing flycatchers. I also discovered in CR that there are endless woodcreepers and I am also terrible at IDing those. I found a few more photos from this trip into the park that I'm not quite sure on, including a couple of woodcreepers, maybe a Black-hooded Antshrike or two. Thanks!

Attachments

• CNP 9.JPG
    CNP 9.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 13
  • CNP 13.JPG
    CNP 13.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 12
  • CNP 12.JPG
    CNP 12.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 12
  • CNP 11.JPG
    CNP 11.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 14
  • CNP 10.JPG
    CNP 10.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
9: Northern barred woodcreeper
13: Male black-hooded antshrike
12: Female ,, ,, ,,
11: Male ,, ,, ,,
10: ? Spotted woodcreeper

Experience says that if you have a second unrelated set of questions, it is best to make a new thread. Very long threads become unwieldy. No need to change anything now, this is just advice for the future.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back