• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking for the "ideal" jacket (1 Viewer)

THE_FERN

Opus Editor
Folks

Looking for a new jacket. "Ideal" for me means:
  • Front zip (full length)
  • Min. 2 very big zipped pockets. Large enough to accommodate a superzoom camera like canon sx60
  • Interior pocket valuable but not essential
  • Without or removable hood
  • Lightweight. Thinner the better for travel
  • Fleece or soft shell
  • Dull colours (=dull green, grey etc. Not camo patterned)
  • (Water/splash proof good but not essential)
This is especially for foreign travel where security is really important. Thinner is more valuable for the tropics: I tend to wear a jacket even in the lowlands for concealing and holding valuables

Of course there are loads of jackets like this on the web. Unfortunately, there's almost nothing about the pocket capacity which is the main criterion for me.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks for the responses. I'm specifically after a jacket rather than gilet or waistcoat (i. e. long sleeves). Really grateful if people can recommend particular models rather than brands because the models change so frequently and each has different characteristics!

As you'll have seen, the key criterion is zipped pocket size. As examples of jackets which have served me well, my best is a Mountain Equipment fleece c1990. I think like this (perhaps, but green):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mountain...186634?hash=item2f4cb1d88a:g:C6cAAOSwf4BfkqxY

Second best probably Mountain Warehouse softshell jacket c2008. (Both green colour).

Varusteleka make a good range of solid well thought out clothing. The merino wool hoodie is excellent if you don't need waterproofness.

Found this in the John Norris sale

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back