• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loon sp. from coastal San Diego county, California. (3 Viewers)

tom baxter

I've asked around and gotten different answers. Anyone want to give a go at what species of Loons these are and why? There is some context for a final answer, based upon eBird reviewer decision. I tend to believe they know best, but I am still struggling to determine for myself.

Attachments

• _86A0437.jpg
    _86A0437.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 98
I think I would exclude Common Loon as they don't look bulky enough, nor do the bills. Far from certain but I'd go towards Pacific Diver with the black throat strap?

It's best if you say at the outset what your opinion is and what advice/decision you've had - then people can target their comments accordingly so that they are most useful for you.
Neck-pattern and big feet suggest common loon.
Initially I thought they were Pacific because the heads and bills appear small and I thought they had small feet. Upon zooming in and inspecting the photos I agree that the color on the neck looks better for Common Loon, and particularly the bird on the bottom right appears to have large feet. I’m caught off guard by the feet not being more obviously large, but maybe it’s the angle? To further muddy my own judgement, I asked three of my friends who are all excellent birders and all said Pacific Loon. I am currently feeling pretty confident that they are Common Loons, in spite of the run around it took me to arrive at that ID.

I would have said Common, too, mostly due to the blotchy neck and what looks like large feet (as mentioned above). Is Pacific the default at that location?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back