• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lophotriorchis lucani R. B. Sharpe & Bouvier, 1877 & Pternistes lucani Barbosa du Bocage, 1879 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Lophotriorchis lucani R. B. Sharpe & Bouvier, 1877 OD here
Cette troisième liste comprend le résultat presque complet de toute une année de chasse faite en commun par nos collègues MM. le Dr Lucan et L. Petit, depuis le mois septembre 1876 husqu'à la même époque de l'année courante.
Pternistes lucani Barbosa du Bocage, 1879 OD here
(Num. 1574, M M. Petit et Lucan)

The Key to Scientific Names
Dr Albert Lucan (fl. 1870) French collector in the Congo (syn. Hieraaetus ayresii, syn. Pternistis afer cranchii).

In the several Eponym books I found him only under The Eponym Dictionary of Amphibians (wrong death)
Hyperolius lucani Rochebrune, 1885 OD here

Dr. A. Lucan (d. 1884) was a physian in the French Congo (1876-1884) He collected the frog holotype.

According Le spécimen et le collecteur

AEC Côte-d'or, Beire-Le-Châtel, acte no 1: naissance d'Étienne Armand Marie Albert Lucan le 4 avril 1843 ; il décède au même lieu le 20 septembre 1907, idem 1907 act no 20

So it is Étienne Armand Marie Albert Lucan (1843-1907).

Here p 4/11 confirms all this names. Somehow I always fail to find full records in Departement Côte-d'Or. No idea how Laurent usually finds them.

Other dedications are:
  • Lynx lucani Rochebrune, 1885 OD here
  • Atheris lucani Rochebrune, 1885 OD here
  • Eleotris lucani Rochebrune, 1885 OD here
  • Xenomystus lucani Rochebrune, 1885 OD here

I don't know that I'm doing anything unusual...?

I start at Etat civil de la Côte-d'Or, I select the municipality (here Beire-le-Châtel) in the left panel, then I follow the link that says "Actes (BMS puis NMD)", I open the file that covers the date I'm looking for and I search through it.

If the links below don't work, you need to do as described above and find the correct file.

birth: FRAD021EC 59/008 (1838-1865) (Ir ead visu lien), 122/827.
death : FRAD021EC 59/012 (1898-1907) (Ir ead visu lien), 289/297.

He was apparently not really a doctor -- if I understand Le spécimen et le collecteur correctly. His father was one and, although he had started studying medicine in Paris, he never completed the cursus. He seems to have acted as if he was one in Africa, though.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back