• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lovely Vintage Jason Statesman 7x50 (1 Viewer)

Bencw

May be of interest, I was pleased to have found this old Jason Statesman 7x50, model 151,as I think they are rare in the UK, the only one I have found over here. Perhaps it may possibly be more common in the USA ? . I believe Jason were bought out by Bushnell long ago. I was surprised at how good it is, it is one of the best vintage Japanese made centre focus 7x50s I have looked through, the image quality is pretty much on par with My Swift Audubon MK11, although the Audubon is just a shade brighter, clarity is about the same,. Magnesium body, weight is 1.1kg, twist out hard eye cups, I like the very deep set objectives which gives good protection, UVC optics, hard coated, good 578ft@1000yds FOV. Virtually unmarked with original stickers and case. A little difficult to see but looks to be marked JB22 so made by Itabashi Kogaku Kikai Seisakujo Inc.,Tokyo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95019762@N07/with/31622611924/

Attachments

• JASON-STATESMAN-7X50....JPG
    JASON-STATESMAN-7X50....JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 172
  • JASON-STATESMAN-7X50...JPG
    JASON-STATESMAN-7X50...JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 175
  • JASON-STATESMAN-7X50..JPG
    JASON-STATESMAN-7X50..JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 154
  • JASON-STATESMAN-7X50.JPG
    JASON-STATESMAN-7X50.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 201
Wow, that is a really impressive bin! Those big oculars are amazing--how do they deliver such a wide FOV with (seemingly) so much eye relief?

--AP

Very nice Ben.

Objective may be 180mm f.l, f/3.6 so eyepiece 26mm f.l about.
5 or 6 element?

If really 77 deg AFOV then field stop may be 34mm or 35mm.

I wonder if really 11 degrees or nearer 10 deg.

May be a lot of edge distortion or angular magnification distortion.

Very nice Ben.

Objective may be 180mm f.l, f/3.6 so eyepiece 26mm f.l about.
5 or 6 element?

If really 77 deg AFOV then field stop may be 34mm or 35mm.

I wonder if really 11 degrees or nearer 10 deg.

May be a lot of edge distortion or angular magnification distortion.

Hi Binastro, Alexis,

I have the original Jason guarrantee with it, but no specifications. I would say yes, EP must be at least 5 element, the FOV is wide to view, But your right Binastro, falls sharply away right at the very edge, but most of the field is sharp. Fantastic engineering and finish though, everything moves like silk, all the metal parts well finished and polished, I dont know what these would have retailed for, but it oozes quality.

Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back