• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lubeck/hamburg area in march (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

Hello,
i'm visiting lubeck in late march this year for a conference (flying to hamburg), and am thinking about combining it with some birding (2 or 3 days). Maybe this will be too late for wintering species but does anyone know the chances for seeing any of the following species and if so, do you have site details?

taiga bean goose
tundra bean goose
barnacle goose
black grouse
long-tailed duck
white-tailed eagle
rough-legged buzzard
eagle owl
black woodpecker
grey-headed woodpecker
shore lark
twite

I would be prepared to hire a car and drive to e.g. fehmarn or the north sea coast if that improves the chances.

cheers,
James

Many thanks Florian and Yvonne,
that's some really useful information. If you have any other suggestions for sites to visit, particularly related to the species noted that would be much appreciated!
cheers,
James

I have asked a local birder for some ideas, let's see if he is in the mood for some hints.

grey-headed and black woodpecker in hamburg:
http://www.enjoynature.net/?verein=enjoynature&gebiet=-178819205
http://www.enjoynature.net/?verein=enjoynature&gebiet=245487370

if you click on "home" you can search for species and get some maps with pins. you can filter the results f.ex. concerning the bundesland (schleswig-holstein/HH for hamburg).

wo can meet the white-tailed eagle at wedeler marsch the whole year.

are you interested in nandus/greater rhea? ;-)
http://www.enjoynature.net/?verein=enjoynature&gebiet=-1363196743

tundra bean goose (=russian bean goose?), barnacle goose and rough-legged buzzard will be leaving, but some will still be there, i think, and then this will be no problem. I hope that somebody from the region will tell you the best spots.

greetings, yvonne

Just to note that the population of Eagle Owls in northern Germany are the offspring of birds released in the 70's and 80's.

A good site for Black Woodpecker, White-tailed Eagle and Bean Geese are the Meissendorfer Teiche near Celle. It is also a site for Black Grouse (at weekends only).

(1) For the Black Woodpeckers, take the K63 from Winsen/Aller to Meissendorf. In the village the road makes a sharpish S-turn (left/right). 650m after this, take a left onto the Breliendammer Strasse (aka Breliendammer Weg) - a cul de sac. After 2.5, there is a right hand bend in a forested area. Park here and follow the unpaved track, taking a left after about 100m. This track then emerges into open countryside and you should soon see an observation mound ahead. Scan here for raptors and Black Woodpeckers. Occasionally, Black Grouse can be heard "singing" from their leks in the early morning from here.

You can then also walk south along a trail into a forested area for more opportunities for Black Woodpecker. Note that all land north of the observation mound is part of a military exercise area and should not be entered.

(2) For White-tailed Eagle + Bean Geese you will need to drive back to Winsen/Aller and take the L180 to Bannetze (west of Winsen). In Bannetze, take a right onto the Ochsentrift. After 1.2Km the road reaches a T-junction, where you should take a right. Park here (end of the road) and walk north to the observation tower (1.2Km) scanning for birds of prey and geese along the way. The observation tower is very reliable for WT Eagle, ducks and other wetland birds.

(3) Black Grouse: This site is only accessible at weekends as it is in a military area. The road is open from 8am to 6pm. Please follow all directions and do not leave the road under any circumstances.

From Meissendorf village, follow the K63 to Ostenholz ignoring the turn for Bergen. In Ostenholz village, follow the signs for the Sieben Steinhaeuser. After clearing the military control point, drive the 5km to the Sieben Steinhaeuser (several monolithic graves). Park here and walk back along the road (about 1.5km to 2km) to areas of open moorland - listening for Black Grouse calls.

all great thanks, keep it coming! ;)

interesting what you say about the eagle owls c.o.c., was that a planned reintroduction or escapes?
thanks,
James

all great thanks, keep it coming! ;)

interesting what you say about the eagle owls c.o.c., was that a planned reintroduction or escapes?
thanks,
James

It was a planned re-introduction as the population had undergone a severe decline.

On the other species:

(1) Bean Geese: Fairly common in northern Germany. Check ornitho.de for any remaining flocks in March.
(2) Barnacle Geese + Shore Lark: The former is quite common on the North Sea and Baltic Coasts, but the latter is most easily found on the North Sea. Sylt holds good populations of both, but the flocks of Shore Lark can be mobile.
(3) LT Duck: Baltic Sea areas are best. Haven't seen the species myself in D, but Fehmarn seems to get a good few records. Near Luebeck, the coastal area between Travemuende and Brodten also seems to be good for this species.
(4) Twite is a scarce winter visitor mainly to the North Sea Coast.

Not on your list, but may be of interest - there is a good site for MSpotted Woodpecker on the northern outskirts of Lubeck between St Gertrud and Israelsdorf. Park here and walk across the train tracks into the forest. At this point take the path that runs NNW. Known as the Hollanderschneise.

thanks for those,
i've seen middle-spot in several european countries but there's a few british species which elude me (taiga bean goose, shore lark, twite) as they are major rarities near weymouth and i don't travel a lot within britain...
have registered with ornitho.de so hopefully can extract some good up-to-date info from that.
James

How is about travel a little bit away from Hamburg ?
I would recommend 1 day flood plains Elbtalauen + lake Guelper See, which is a top spot in Germany with very good chance of White-tailed Eagle.

spot overview north of Hamburg
http://www.birdinggermany.de/nordsee.htm

150 km southeast of Hamburg
http://www.birdinggermany.de/brandenburg.htm

Buy the way near Rathenow is located Buckow a very good place for Great Bustard.

About 80 km east of Lübeck is another hot spot, the bird island Langenwerder.

taiga bean goose
tundra bean goose
barnacle goose

Geese extrem high chance in floodplain of river Elbe and lake Gülper See in Brandenburg which belongs to the top spots of Germany ( or maybe this is the top spot )
http://www.birdinggermany.de/brandenburg.htm

Also around island Poel in combination with bird island Landenwerder is extrem high chance and also top spot.

black grouse

rather in Bavarian Alps e.g. Nationalpark Berchtesgardener Land, but also good chance in other place which are very low frequented hikers and ski tourers.

long-tailed duck
white-tailed eagle
rough-legged buzzard

Also very high chance in floodplain of river Elbe and lake Gülper See.
Especially White-tailed Eagle is very common there included small assemblies in Winter.

eagle owl

never seen

black woodpecker

Black one is not rare in Germany, also possible in towns.
I saw them in parks of Berlin und Munich.

grey-headed woodpecker

Grey one I saw only a few times in Bavarian.

shore lark

Should be in Ditmarsch in winter see map
http://www.birdinggermany.de/dithmarsch.htm
ask also natur organisation NABU [email protected]

Shore lark should also rare in winter here ( north of Hamburg )
http://www.birdinggermany.de/wedelermarsch.htm

guided tours aks here
Tel: 04129/574, Fax: 04129/1226 or e-mail: [email protected]

twite
Twite and Shore Lark also some times in the area near Cuxhaven which is located 120 km north west of Hamburg.
http://www.birdinggermany.de/neuwerk.htm

Last edited:
Thought I'd revive this old thread as it looks usefu.l Has anybody any tips for good birding next weekend in and around Hamburg? Probably very early morning is when I'll be out as I'll be busy late afternoon onwards.

hi paul,
can't really help much as it was a different time of year and most birding i did on this pretty successful trip was quite far away from hamburg, but i did visit the cemetery yvonne mentions in post #3. i missed the eagle owls but did see a goshawk.
cheers,
James

Hopefully not too late yet. I would suggest you to go to the " Wedeler Marsch" few km west of Hamburg.
Recent sightings are e.g. lots of ducks and waders and a White tailed Eagle as well as Red and Black Kite.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back