• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lunar Hornet Moth at Fowlmere (1 Viewer)

David Hatton

Hello - it may be of interest that there was a Lunar Hornet Moth (Sesia bembeciformis) at Fowlmere RSPB (Cambs, UK) on 8th July. It was found by friends newly emerged on sallows close to post #2 of the nature trail early in the morning. I have posted a picture of it on my website at http://www.kowapower.com/photo_1156148.html. This is apparently a difficult species to come by - prefering the canopy - so a lucky encounter with this fantastic mimic!

Cracking photo David. I've only ever seen one of these (years ago) and managed a short video (still attached).

I notice the account describes it as a micro moth, whereas I think clearwings are usually treated under the macros.

Attachments

• lunar_hornet_jul_03a.jpg
    lunar_hornet_jul_03a.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 80
thanks brian - yes i think they are sort of 'honorary' macros - no doubt someone will fill us in in 'micro-scopic' detail on their affiliations!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back