• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madison, CT - sneaky little tag-along (1 Viewer)

Craig Houghton

Artist, Illustrator, and Beginning Birder
I was looking through some pictures from a trip yesterday to Hammonasset Beach in Madison CT when I noticed a bird floating in the water below my actual subject in a photo. I was photographing the ring-billed flying above, but I failed to see the bird floating in the waves below.

I'm not all that used to gulls or ocean-loving birds, but that dark ear spot has me wondering if it might be a bonaparte's gull. It's a tiny pic, but it's all I have of the little fellow.

Any ideas?

-Craig

Craig Houghton said:
I was looking through some pictures from a trip yesterday to Hammonasset Beach in Madison CT when I noticed a bird floating in the water below my actual subject in a photo. I was photographing the ring-billed flying above, but I failed to see the bird floating in the waves below.

I'm not all that used to gulls or ocean-loving birds, but that dark ear spot has me wondering if it might be a bonaparte's gull. It's a tiny pic, but it's all I have of the little fellow.

Any ideas?

-Craig
Looks like Bonaparte's Gull to me.

Alan

Hi Craig

This is a Bonaparte's as Alan and Joe point out. In CT each year they stage up on the coast waiting to head north. Some years they can group up into huge rafts of birds numbering some hundreds or thousands strong. At this point birders start to look through to see whether there are any rare european gulls in with them - as it's possibly the best time of year to find Little Gull and Black-headed.

Out of interest if you haven't stumbled across it yourslf yet - this website has some very useful information for beginner birders and helps give you some idea of what will be around when: http://www.ctbirding.org/a_connecticut_birding_year.htm

Luke

Glad you got out to Hammo, Craig! Nice shot of a Bonaparte's Gull, as Alan, Joe, and Luke have already verified.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back