• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mae Wong NP, Thailand, Flavescent Bulbul, not Mountain Bulbul or..? (2 Viewers)

Agree with Flavescent Bulbul. Note the short, upright crest and white supercilium in front of the eye. Mountain Bulbul has shaggier crest and throat feathers and a longer, slimmer bill. Mountain is also usually in well-forested habitat, whereas Flavescent lives in more open shrubbier areas (as yours seem to be).

Tnx a lot man, very helpful. On the same mountain I photographed a Mountain Bulbul too, not as sharp, but still. Pic will follow....

unfortunately both not completely sharp... but this should be the Mountain Bulbul then I guess, never seen or heard of before...DSC03690.JPGDSC03692.JPG

Yes, a mountain bulbul:). Nicely photographed. Interesting that the breast and belly appears to be a different colour than one I took a week ago in Nepal (attached). Perhaps different subspecies? Or some other reason or just a variant? Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread but perhaps to add to the info about your photo.
s

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c24.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c24.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Yes, a mountain bulbul:). Nicely photographed. Interesting that the breast and belly appears to be a different colour than one I took a week ago in Nepal (attached). Perhaps different subspecies? Or some other reason or just a variant? Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread but perhaps to add to the info about your photo.
s
Yes, I remember being surprised when I first saw Mountain Bulbul in Thailand because the head and breast are much greyer than on birds I'm familiar with in Hong Kong.

Thanks guys, and I've got many pics more that I am not 100% sure which species it is. I already added one 'grey bird' again into my other thread: Common small grey bird Thailand ID? after Johnallcock kindly helped me with the first 'grey bird', not that grey after all....please have a look at that one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back