• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand November 2022 (1 Viewer)

I realized I also have Brazil's East Asia book and there it's shown that Dark-sided differs from Asian Brown by long primary projection (I hope I am using the right term, it's how much the folded primaries stick out behind the secondaries, not how far along the tail they end) - and thought that our bird has it, but then we looked up many pictures online and Dark-sided has it even longer and the drawings are a tiny bit misleading in this aspect (or other subspecies not relevant for Thailand maybe?), so after a long fight, we give up and concede Asian Brown.

Hainan vs. Blue-and-white I literally don't know! I looked at many pictures of both, it seems the impression really depends on angle, fluffing of feathers ... I am really uncertain. Either one is a new species at least, never saw anything like that.

I put your tern IDs to the observations (you know you could do that yourself :) - they make a lot of sense, I don't know why I was so reluctant to put them in the first place. What do you think about this one though - Roseate Tern (Sterna dougallii) ?

At the moment, this sums up to 188 species - exactly the same number as Malaysia in 2018 and a rather typical result for us "lazy birders" in a medium-sized trip. 53 lifers.
For me, this Roseate Tern (Sterna dougallii) is Common Tern - but I see far more experienced birders commenting and looking at this thread occasionally!

I thought that I did see a Dark-sided in amongst the pics as an unidentified flycatcher but I wanted to look at it again. I will do so when I have made more progress on my own pics. I have totally finished four days of twelve of mine so far... A few remaining headaches there before mammals, reptiles, butterflies, moths, etc..

This is it Muscicapa Flycatchers (Genus Muscicapa) Dark-sided Flycatcher for me.

But quickly on this weaver... Weavers and Allies (Family Ploceidae) I believe that we have three species in play. I would say Baya Weaver on this. That is the same as the first three pics - triangular bill without a clear pronounced difference between lower & upper mandibles; the next pic is Asian Golden Weaver with a more pronounced head pattern & difference in the bill being stronger with a pinker lower mandible; and the final pic is Streaked Weaver - with a bunting-like head pattern. We found Baya commonest, Asian Golden second commonest but without very large flocks & Streaked Weaver the rarest of the three.

I will work out how to comment in inaturalist!

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 345 Baya Weaver 052.jpg
    345 Baya Weaver 052.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 345 Baya Weaver 055.jpg
    345 Baya Weaver 055.jpg
    878 KB · Views: 6
  • 345 Baya Weaver 053.jpg
    345 Baya Weaver 053.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 346 Asian Golden Weaver 001.jpg
    346 Asian Golden Weaver 001.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 344 Streaked Weaver 020.jpg
    344 Streaked Weaver 020.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back