• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpies (1 Viewer)

Magoo

Probably been asked a few times.

And after seeing them killing and eating Greenfinch, please forgive me for using my Air rifle.

Magoo said:
Being realistic , in England they are live trapped and bludgeoned to death!
Wrong most Magpies are caught in larsen traps and then shot. But according to RSPCA the way to handle a young Magpie is to put it into a plastic bag and suffocate it.
Suricate

Ooooo!!
Well whilst part of me understands the horror and hatred that caused you to take the action you did I personally could never do such a thing because A) What if you just injured it? B) An expert killer should be used.
The rest of me thinks its wrong to kill anything just like that....I`m trying to understand conservation and I believe conservationists do their work based on studies.

Magoo said:

And after seeing them killing and eating Greenfinch, please forgive me for using my Air rifle.
In reply to your tongue in cheek request for forgiveness in regard to shooting a magpie with an airgun.
As this is a bird forum I will not venture into the area of mammals I have handled this year that have been injured by airguns.
Since January 2003 I have handled 41 wild birds that have been shot with air weapons. Pigeons, Sparrowhawks, Gulls, Corvids and certain song birds. All these incidents were carried out by mindless idiots, no real reason and even in the case of, lets say pigeons and Magpies, shot by under powered weapons.
There is a case for shooting used only as a pest control measure but there should be no forgivness in your case. Your air gun should be snapped in half and the two pieces inserted into an area of your anatomy so you will remember for a long time.
Suricate

Hear hear Suricate :clap: :clap: :clap:

Who are we, as humans, to decide on what is a pest species when we only have to look at our own track record!
Crows, gulls,sparrowhawks and pigeons do seem to get a lot of bad press when they are only doing as nature intended.
I have a feeding station in my garden which is very busy but if a Sparrowhawk(and there ARE a few around here) comes along and takes one of 'my' tits, chaffinches or, dare I say it, one of my greenfinches then I certainly will not be running to borrow the farmer's shotgun!!!
It's all part of nature...and magpies/sparrowhawks have to eat as well!!! :C

GILL

I totally agree with Suricate and Gill. Just think of the endless stories of misery, sorrow and cruelty you would hear if animals could talk, brought on to them by a species that is supposed to be the crown of creation.

Last edited:
Gill Osborne said:
Hear hear Suricate :clap: :clap: :clap:

Who are we, as humans, to decide on what is a pest species when we only have to look at our own track record!
Crows, gulls,sparrowhawks and pigeons do seem to get a lot of bad press when they are only doing as nature intended.
I have a feeding station in my garden which is very busy but if a Sparrowhawk(and there ARE a few around here) comes along and takes one of 'my' tits, chaffinches or, dare I say it, one of my greenfinches then I certainly will not be running to borrow the farmer's shotgun!!!
It's all part of nature...and magpies/sparrowhawks have to eat as well!!! :C

GILL

I AGREE GILL.

Its all been said in the above posts, and i agree let nature take its course.

better of doing away with the people destroying our countryside and biodiversity for a few extra quid and a nicer car on the driveway...

don't blame the magpies for goodness sake, as Dave says they gotta eat.

Get rid of the agri-business buffoons

Hi

I am still amazed and astounded when I hear of 'bird lovers' with such hatred for Magpies and the like.
When I was a reserve warden I was shocked when I was asked by people if it was possible for them to get a licence to kill the Sparrowhawk that was visiting their garden.
There is no evidence to support the concept that Magpies have any negative impact on songbird numbers (far more damage is caused by humans and their actions).
If you do not like to see Magpies, Sparrowhawks etc acting naturally in your garden then the simple answer is do not feed or atract songbirds into your garden! What will be next, 'taking out' Blue Tits with a pea-shooter for eating lepidoptera larvae :eek!: !!

ATB
Tristan

i am also surprised when 'bird lovers' get angry when birds of prey etc, kill other birds. come on... what about the osprey for example! - its eating our fish, wipe it out! or the golden eagle taking young lambs - kill them all!. no body would even dream about culling these birds in this day and age (apart from the odd evil doers who poison the odd one or two!) so dont hate magpies, sparrowhawks or whatever is killing your garden visitors - after all they ARE BIRDS TOO!. it's the circle of life, get used to it and dont interfere.

Whilst out and about today I saw a few rookeries amidst lots of farmland and I thought, well, a huge portion of people in the uk eat meat....so magpies and the like eat meat too.
Seeing the cruel circle of life makes me squirm and whince.....sniff, but do magpies farm in the appalling way humans do?

magpies as with most birds who hunt, rarely waste anything they kill, so are a lot more efficient than us humans who can be notorious wasters.

Magoo said:

Trust you used your air rifle either to a: shoot yourself in the foot or;
b: shoot yourself somewhere that really hurt. Magpies are supposed to kill and eat greenfinches. People like yourself, Magoo, don't eat the magpies you shoot (or do you??). If you can't handle seeing nature in the raw then move into a town or something. And if you dop live in a town why are you shooting birds in a built up area, eh??

Not a lot of sympathy on here. Looks like you're on your own Mr Magoo...

You have the legal right to control this & other bird species if you wish.

Its very disturbing to sit & watch a Magpie empty a nest of young, so i can see where youre coming from.
Its your garden & if you want to protect Greenfinches then good for you.
The persecution of Magpies is now commonplace amongst garden "bird-watchers"
I would however have a problem with you if you were going round killing every Magpie you saw.

What would you do if you saw a cat creeping up on a feeding bird? I know i'd shoo the cat away, to give the bird in my garden a chance. Wouldnt you?
Isnt all that Magoo is doing is giving his garden birds a chance too? Maybe his children witnessed the demise of the Greenfinch & he wants to make sure it doesnt happen again..?

Shooting wild birds is an emotive topic especially to the members here & Air weapons have a certain stigma attatched to them too!
Magoo, you were allways on 'a hiding to nothing' posting that here.

Finally,
Do you shoot Wabbits Mr Magoo...?

Stevie.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back