• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making my own Robinson style trap (1 Viewer)

Hi all, after reading lots of threads on Birdforum I have decided I am going to attempt to make my own Robinson style trap following the build style of other members. I have ordered the Polycarbonate from Amari plastics so there is no going back now..... |;|

Without going over what has previously been said many times I have a couple of questions that maybe some of you could help me with.

The first is the size of the tub needed, does anyone know the ideal diameter of the tub or maybe how many litres it holds. I have found a similar tub that holds 69L, I thought maybe this is too big, there is also one that holds 39L but this looked maybe too small. Or if you know where i can get the ideal tub in the Essex area that would be great.

I have decided i would like to start with a 40w actinic bulb and i will be doing the electrics myself. Would anybody have a list of the components needed as this would be a big help.

Also am I right in saying these are the same lamps as used in Marine fish tanks and so will need the starter unit or are they different?

I realise this is a lot of questions but any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to mothing. Many thanks in advance.
:)

Hi all, after reading lots of threads on Birdforum I have decided I am going to attempt to make my own Robinson style trap following the build style of other members. I have ordered the Polycarbonate from Amari plastics so there is no going back now..... |;|

Without going over what has previously been said many times I have a couple of questions that maybe some of you could help me with.

The first is the size of the tub needed, does anyone know the ideal diameter of the tub or maybe how many litres it holds. I have found a similar tub that holds 69L, I thought maybe this is too big, there is also one that holds 39L but this looked maybe too small. Or if you know where i can get the ideal tub in the Essex area that would be great.

I have decided i would like to start with a 40w actinic bulb and i will be doing the electrics myself. Would anybody have a list of the components needed as this would be a big help.

Also am I right in saying these are the same lamps as used in Marine fish tanks and so will need the starter unit or are they different?

I realise this is a lot of questions but any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to mothing. Many thanks in advance.
:)

Hi - you can try B&Q - I got a large sturdy plastic outdoor plant pot for my Robinson for £5 and it's just the right size!

Cheers
James

I expect you have seen this but in case you haven't:-

http://www.tcdigitalphotography.co.uk/diy_moth_trap.html

There are some links in there that could be useful also.

I have to admit to buying my home trap from Paul Batty and adapting it as I didn't feel confident of building one from scratch!

With the two traps I use when trapping away from home I bought Paul's "electrics" and mounted them on a storage box.

I expect you already know but Paul Batty's website is at:-

http://www.pwbelg.clara.net/mercury/

Good luck!

Tony

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replys. I have now purchased the 39L tub and it seems to be a good size, I dont think I would like it any bigger. It is the Bee Tidy tub from Argos, costs 8.99 and seems to fit the bill. I am aware of those websites thankyou and think I will give Paul Batty an Email as i am planning on buying the seperates for a 40w actinic and wiring them myself.

Thanks again. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back