• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallard? Sleepy Hollow, NY (1 Viewer)

gsimonel

United States
I'm going through and organizing some photos, when I came across this photo taken at Pocantico Lake (Lower Hudson Valley region) in late March. I saw this duck, which I'd assumed was a female mallard, in a group of mergansers, mallards, buffleheads and black ducks. But When I zoomed in on it, it looked odd. There's no mottling, and the color seems off. Is it female mallard, perhaps mid molt, or is it something else that I can't recognize?

Attachments

• Unknown_Pcto__3-24-23_9626.jpg
    Unknown_Pcto__3-24-23_9626.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 41
My guess is black duck. Found in NY, yellow bill, light face.

Apparently mallards and black ducks readily hybridize, so there is that as well.

Last edited:
I'd consider this at least a Mallard x Black Duck hybrid, quite possibly pure American Black Duck. It looks to me like there's water flowing off the front half of the bird, with the back half being a more accurate representation of the bird's color. No green is visible on the head, which is paler and contrasts sharply with the rest of the body. The bill is solidly yellow/greenish, good for male American Black Duck and not a female Mallard. The tail feathers look good for American Black Duck too, although it's possible that those two central tail feathers are longer and simply matted down.

The overall suite of features suggests American Black Duck over other options, I think.

I think it could well be an American Black duck, but a 100% safe ID isn´t possible from that single photo.
This is because I think the breast and part of the flanks may be wet and therefore showing an odd pale greyish color due to reflection on wet plumage.
if there are further photos this might be ID able

It does seem like some sort of hybrid. There were both mallards and black ducks at the lake the day I took the photo. I have only one other photo of that specific duck, which is very blurry, but I'll upload it anyway.

Attachments

• SameDuck_Pco_3-24-23_9634.jpg
    SameDuck_Pco_3-24-23_9634.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back