• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca (5 Viewers)

Hi Steve,

I am visiting Mallorca at the beginning of May for a week of hopefully good birdwatching staying near Puerto Pollensa. In my previous holidays I have run out of time and so have never visited the Salinas de Levante in the south. Do you still have a chance of Slender-billed Gull and Flamingo?

Has the weather in Europe effected the bird migration?

Last year I had a brief view of Marbled Teal and I wondered whether they are any still present in the north of the island.

Thanks

Julie

Hi Julie,
Flamingoes are present in the Salinas most of the year, Slender billed gulls are a bit more difficult, we get to see them occasionally during migration. There are at least two breeding pairs of Marbled teal in the Albufera. This is pretty recent.

The weather here has been very erratic during April, we are starting to get some good weather now and it seems migration has finnaly kicked of. This morning on a southern cape of the island almost every bush seemed to be occupied, wheatears, whinchats, willow warblers, Bee-eaters, Wood warblers and pied flys just to name a few...

have a good time!

Hi,
Woodchat shrikes as Barred Wobber has said are fairly common summer visitors. In the Balearics we get the "badius" subspecies. It can be told apart from the nominate "senator" by the lack of white on the primaries. It's also slightly bigger (and "badder" 3:))...

Hi Estebannic,
I understand what you mean now about bigger and badder......(as just read a bit about them) I think I will follow the lovely Stonechats and tiny birds around instead. I go back to family in Mallorca latish August for two weeks so look forward to doing some bird watching again. Delighted to have found here too and have bookmarked it. I must post my picture of Hoopoe woodpecker from last year if can find.

Yep thank goodness still have it and couldnt believe my luck to spot this lovely Hoopoe bird on a short walk to El Toro beach.

Attachments

• Picture 212_01.jpg
    Picture 212_01.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back