• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malta and hunting policy (1 Viewer)

It's sounding more and more like the FKNK / KSU are a long way passed being worried, in fact a long way passed squeaky bum time. The latest rants have stripped off all pretence of anything like 'reasoned debate' ( although there was precious little reason or debate from the hunting lobby before ) and has moved into childish name calling. If any child of mine resorted to "I want to do it, and you can't stop me" then bugger the law - slapped arse time.

Chris

Hi all, I received a response to my 'Letter to Malta' mentioned in post #129 above. Please see blog for details and any comments welcome... Cheers, Jonny

I'm not up on blog responses and totally fail to understand the requirement for a 'profile' (whatever that may be!). I wanted to comment, but my failings and the inapplicability of my mid-20th century existence working in electronics and electrics are evident!

Can you advise? I didn't send a PM in the hope that your answer might help other baffled senior citizens!
MJB

I'm not up on blog responses and totally fail to understand the requirement for a 'profile' (whatever that may be!). I wanted to comment, but my failings and the inapplicability of my mid-20th century existence working in electronics and electrics are evident!

Can you advise? I didn't send a PM in the hope that your answer might help other baffled senior citizens!
MJB

Hi MJB,

To comment you would need a Blogger account or similar. If your not on Twitter either then feel free to share your comments on here and I will use them to inform my letter... I am going to write it next week in the hope the weekend allows me to calm down and be more erudite!

I look forward to your comments :t:

Cheers,

Jonny

Hi MJB, To comment you would need a Blogger account or similar. If you're not on Twitter either then feel free to share your comments on here and I will use them to inform my letter... I am going to write it next week in the hope the weekend allows me to calm down and be more erudite! I look forward to your comments :t: Cheers, Jonny

Thanks, Jonny; I must make it clear it's difficult to escape the evidence that there is a thing called Twitter, and I know a few whose expertise is invaluable...but I'll leave it there!

My thoughts after reading that letter were twofold. Firstly, the responder is playing a straight, dead bat to your delivery, mostly to gain time to work out how the next response might go; to continue the cricket metaphor, he's hoping for rain before the close of play, and that's standard practice when metaphorical mortar bombs might be heading your way.

Secondly, he makes reference to sources that by inference support some of his statements. Now, it's always useful to know what informs your adversary, and so it's worth making a pitch to obtain a copy from him. A refusal on his part weakens his position, but it would be interesting to see what he says (and what he omits) in his next response.

It's also worth considering extending your distribution list to include people or appointments with some kind of vested interest, making sure that any added are given copies of earlier correspondence. This allows you the potential of an outflanking manoeuvre later.
MJB
PS Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn built 'Yes Minister' on many small truths in producing the highest standard of comedy fiction, my 6 years in Whitehall taught me:t:

Figures don't lie but liars can figure

A bunch of figures........ means nothing to me Lino. But if right it just goes to prove that to have so many people deployed to keep a check of things means that the illegal hunting is so so out of control. Hopefully you are on your way down and we can soon put this thread to sleep !

Strictly Supervised Conditions

During the 18 ‘days’ when hunting was permitted last April by application of derogation, the hunter-marshals who were deployed by the Federation for Hunting & Conservation – Malta (FKNK) in several localities over the Maltese islands observed the presence of police/army officers on an average of 13.48 ‘days’.

Each hunter-marshal recorded an average of 11.23 observations, and each was personally spot-checked by the officers on an average of 2.07 times in the 18 ‘days’.

This state of affairs, that should represent only a partial state of the full force of the supervision carried out by law-enforcers and which should eventually be confirmed by the Police Corp’s own records, demonstrates beyond a shadow of a doubt that the derogation condition “strictly supervised” has not only been satisfied but has exceeded expectations.

The full detailed report of the survey will form part of the derogation application report that the FKNK will eventually distribute to all interested parties, including the EU Environment Commission.

Lino Farrugia
Secretary General

Is anyone suprised?, when is Malta going to realise how many people have nothing but contempt for what goes on in that country.

Just back from a few days visiting wife's non birding friends on Gozo. Not the so called hunting season and didn't see or hear any hunters. We also didn't see any birds (I took my binos of course). Locals we met socially confirmed that they had all been shot and stuffed. There is considerable competition to stuff rarer birds than your neighbour apparently - although even relatively common ones like swallows or swifts have been seen being shot ' for target practice '. Now we've done our social duty I've vetoed ever going back again so we don't give them any tourist money - it's a crowded noisy dump with no beaches, trees, countryside or unstuffed wildlife anyway.
My real point in writing was to say that in the 2 hotels we stayed in I posted cards home which all contained the sentence ' no birds to see here (not even seagulls!), apparently they've all been shot by the huge numbers of local hunters. ' None of these cards (10) have arrived. The hotel has denied refusing to post/destroying them!
Actually, I am tempted to go back to join one of the anti hunting camps but it's difficult to get time off from caring for Mrs (in a wheelchair)

I have not....Has anyone seen the article ????

The Federation for Hunting and Conservation (FKNK) felt the need to publish this clarification because some articles that have appeared in issues of particular newspapers this week and also concerned Secretary General FKNK, Lino Farrugia. FKNK Għaldaqatant to clarify that:

- The Secretary General of FKNK consultant was never a minister during the Nationalist administration;

- The Secretary General was engaged by FKNK to perform certain work for FKNK, after the government agreed to give financial support to the Secretary-General to work on this request had been made by the same FKNK;

- Part of this work included research and writing of reports that after being approved by the FKNK, were also given to the Government, the opposition, the European Commission, among some other interested entities;

- The figures reported and the number of payments are correct, and do not belong only to 2012, but including arrears of previous years. These amounts are also included in the 18% VAT paid back to the government;

- Any possible arrangement made by the Labour Party regarding hunting and trapping before the last General Election was not the FKNK and not, or virtue, of, any particular individual.

Moreover, the FKNK states that:

· The hunters and trappers in Malta and Gozo contribute to over € 600,000 per year in licensing only (2012). In studies conducted in 2007, it was calculated that the yearly total financial impact hunters and trappers in Malta and Gozo amounted to € 68 million (FKNK and Bonello, 2007);

· The 10,000 adult FKNK embracing these hunters and trappers, is the largest Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in Malta, and henceforth will function more professional, including by employment of professionals. So also, the Secretary General and Treasurer FKNK will be engaged in the respective positions of Permanent Secretary / CEO and Office Manager.

If anyone here has the necessary qualifications plus experience to ensure genuine new hunters and trappers in Malta and Gozo, is surely the FKNK. Therefore, the FKNK also fiduċuża that the government will not resume jinpjega another person to act on behalf of hunters and trappers as did the government in the person of Saviour Balzan has been entrusted to negotiate The future of hunting and trapping accession of Malta to the European Union, resulting in total failure today know anyone, especially hunters and trappers. Moreover, the same Saviour Balzan never seen appropriate to publish both had earned money from this advice that was made to the Government.

Finally, the FKNK together with the Secretary General are currently watching legal steps can be taken, both on behalf of the Secretary General as well own behalf FKNK against a journalist who in their opinion has published nkwistjoni article clear intent to injure both personal and Secretary General to the FKNK by throwing discredit on Malicious and injury margin.

Last edited:
have they done any calculations to work out how much money they are losing in tourists deliberately not visiting malta because of their hunters. i can certainly say i will never visit malta, while they continue to act as they do.

maybe we should look at what fines can be imposed on them by the EU due to their clearly illegal policies and actions, we are all after all subject to the same laws. there should be consequences for breaking them.

have they done any calculations to work out how much money they are losing in tourists deliberately not visiting malta because of their hunters. i can certainly say i will never visit malta, while they continue to act as they do.

maybe we should look at what fines can be imposed on them by the EU due to their clearly illegal policies and actions, we are all after all subject to the same laws. there should be consequences for breaking them.

With regard to the first point, there have been petitions and letters about this for at least 20 years, with people including myself making it clear that they will not visit the place. Nonetheless, Malta has enough tourists because people either don't know or don't care enough about what goes on.

With regard to the second point, unfortunately, the rest of the EU is hardly squeaky clean with regard to illegal hunting. I've read recently about this in France, Italy and Greece and seen it first hand in Cyprus, and lets not forget our very own raptor persecution lobby.

I have zero respect for politicians because they do zero to make the world a better place without massive public pressure and why else do we even need politicians if not to make thinks better.

Change in Malta needs to come from within and I know there are some people on the island who care (some are on this forum), plus those who travel there during migration to try and police the hunting.

Meeeeeow

See last post re Rambler Association statement....

Il-Federazzjoni Kaccaturi Nassaba Konservazzjonisti (FKNK) qeda tavza lill-membri taghha li ghandhom art privata fil-kampanja, sabiex aktar minn qatt qabel jezigu d-dritt taghhom fuq tali art u jirrifjutaw id-dhul ta’ membri tar-‘Ramblers Association’. Dan japplika kemm waqt l-istaguni tal-kacca u l-insib kif ukoll le – jigifieri s-sena kollha.

Wara li l-istess membri tal-FKNK ghamlu minn kollox sabiex jaghtu l-id ta’ hbieberija, liema fatt deher li kien qed jigi rikonoxxut mir-rapprezentanti tar-‘Ramblers Association’ waqt laqghat pubblici, dawn issa qalu, ukoll pubbikament, li huma jaqblu li jabbolixxu l-kacca legali fir-rebbiegha.

Google Translation.....
The Federation for Hunting and Conservation (FKNK) served advise its members to be private land in the countryside, so more than ever demanding their right over such land and refuse entry of members of the Ramblers Association, . This applies both during the seasons of hunting and trapping as well as not - ie the whole year.

After some members of the FKNK made ​​everything to give the hand of hbieberija fact which seemed to be recognized by representatives of the Ramblers Association, at public meetings, they now say, well pubbikament that they agree to abolish the legal hunting in the spring.

Probably.... I also read this article, alas after I had gone birding there!!

I travelled through Albania in May. I saw only one man with a shotgun and heard only one shot and that was at night !

However bird life was non existent, In three days I saw no raptors heard one Scops Owl , spotted one Nightingale, one Cetti's Warbler, one Hoopoe, one Bee-eater, three Barn Swallow and some House Sparrows. and that was passing through the reserves also. I fear there is not much left to kill there now.
I was thinking of a return there for autumn migration.....should I make the effort ?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back