• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March 2009 moths (3 Viewers)

I caught 9 last night

1 x Many plumed moth
2 x Emmelina monodactyla
then there was 2 that escaped, 1 that was so small and active I couldn't get a photo to identify it and the 3 below which I cant find in my book.
I think the last one is a brown house moth. Help appreciated.

Shelley

Attachments

• DSC_0007-copy.jpg
    DSC_0007-copy.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0011copy.jpg
    DSC_0011copy.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0019-copy.jpg
    DSC_0019-copy.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi Shelley

I think your second one is the Leek Moth Acrolepiopsis assectella
(Zeller, 1839)

The third is a depressariid, not sure which, not a Brown House moth.

Martin

Wasn't expecting much last night with the temperature plummeting and a moon gently waxing away in the clear skies. Still the Purple Thorn was a stunner; hope to get a few shots later if this fog ever clears and the day brightens up.

1919 Purple Thorn (Selenia tetralunaria) 1
2139 Red Chestnut (Cerastis rubricosa) 1
2188 Clouded Drab (Orthosia incerta) 1
2190 Hebrew Character (Orthosia gothica) 1
2243 Early Grey (Xylocampa areola) 2

I seem to be catching the same species most nights, not much variety at all. Just common quaker, hebrew character and early grey. I see not many other are catching Mottled Grey? Would this be to do with my upland location?

Had a superb afternoon at a local National Nature reserve where we found some rather nice looking Birch Woodland. The weather was pretty good with some nice strong sunshine, so... Yip you've guessed it, Orange underwings! We counted about seven which was plenty to keep the interest going. Also saw a rather tatty Peacock and also another moth which we couldn't ID.

Thanks for your help. I am new to this and find identifying the moths quite difficult, hopefully I will improve.

Last nights catch was

2 x Hebrew Character
2 x Common Quaker
1 x Double striped Pug
1 x Emmelina Monodactyla
1 x dont know yet

Not too much to report here on the Norfolk coast at the moment, yesterdays sunshine leading to a cold night & then being replaced by fog today. 1 moth popped up at work yesterday though & had me wasting time searching the micro pages on the net for a while. Finally nailed it in the end ..... my first Oak Nycteoline.

Attachments

• IMG_4103.jpg
    IMG_4103.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for your help. I am new to this and find identifying the moths quite difficult, hopefully I will improve.

Last nights catch was

2 x Hebrew Character
2 x Common Quaker
1 x Double striped Pug
1 x Emmelina Monodactyla
1 x dont know yet

I get quite a few 'don't know yet's in my garden, too.

Last edited:
Last night's catch in my Garden comprised of the following species.

3x Early Thorn
3x Early Grey
1x Streamer
9x Hebrew Character
1x Diurnea fagella
3x Small Quaker
3x Common Quaker
2x Emmelina monodactyla
1x Clouded Drab
1x Engrailed
1x Double-striped Pug

I'm now awaiting my first Brimstone Moth of the year, shouldn't be too long!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back