• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March Moths (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

Having ended February on a paltry 13 species for the patch this year, things picked up last night with five species including four new for the year:-

1053 – Acleris hastiana
1497 – Amblyptilia acanthadactyla
2187 – Common Quaker Orthosia cerasi
2188 – Clouded Drab Orthosia incerta
2190 – Hebrew Character – Orthosia gothica

Hoping to get into habitat at the weekend.

All the best

4 March moths and a solitary acleris heracliana for me so far this month. Hoping for a little more tonight as weather is still warm.
Jono

Only moth i've had this year is a single Brown House Moth in my dining room more than a month ago! Only put trap out a couple of times but been too cold to catch anything.

These two were in the trap yesterday morning - at first glance I thought they might be a Clouded Drab and/or Common Quaker, but studying the photos later I now think they are both Chestnuts (despite looking so different!). Am I (eventually) on the right track? My problem is zero experience, so it's all "look at the book/websites" at the 'mo.

(I also need to work on the macro photography; a tripod would appear to be a necessity to use a decent aperture and get the required depth of field, and remove a bit of camera shake ;) ).

Edit - any chance the left-hand one could be Dark Chestnut?

Attachments

• IMG_2325Chestnuts.jpg
    IMG_2325Chestnuts.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Cheers for the link and hint, Rob - seems to have the squared-off wingtip, but not 100% sure about the trailing edge, which has a bit of an indentation in the middle rather than being straight? Wear/posture? Shape certainly seems different to the rh moth anyway.

Best return of the year last night and still disappointing.
1497: Amblyptilia acanthadactyla (nfy)
1 satellite (nfy)
4 March moths
1 dotted border
2 pale brindled beauties.
regards,
Jono

[

Edit - any chance the left-hand one could be Dark Chestnut?[/QUOTE]

Reckon lefthand moth is indeed dark chestnut. Can just make out the white markings on the trailing edge that I usually associate with dark chestnut.
regards,
Jono

Thanks Jono - just put trap out for tonight, mild but a little damp, however with winter back from tomorrow night it might be my last chance for a while!

A few additions at the weekend to tick over the year list to 21 with:-

670 - Depressaria daucella
1663 - March Moth
1926 - Pale Brindled Beauty
2243 - Early Grey

A foray into habitat on Saturday evening proved almost totally mothless with a single Hebrew Character the only moth to 3 MVs over a 3 hour period!

A few photos YTD attached - Amblyptilia acanthadactyla, Pale Brindled Beauty and March Moth.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Amblyptilia acanthadactyla.jpg
    Amblyptilia acanthadactyla.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Pale Brindled Beauty.jpg
    Pale Brindled Beauty.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 50
  • March Moth.jpg
    March Moth.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 48
Single March Moth on the steps near the away seats of the Allianz Arena, Munich last night. Surprising in light of the fact that it was freezing!

All the best

Still around -10 to -20 degrees at night for at least a week (I think even longer than that) - nice 'spring' over here in Latvia :-C So, I'm still empty in moth department this year...

Still around -10 to -20 degrees at night for at least a week (I think even longer than that) - nice 'spring' over here in Latvia :-C So, I'm still empty in moth department this year...

Not much different here, although warmer! Haven't taken a moth for 9 days now. Raining tonight, but warmer so maybe in luck tonight. About time for the superb oak beauty.
Cheers,
Jono

At last, a worthwhile wander to the garden trap this morning, if only to find a March moth and hebrew character (nfy)
Jono

Attachments

• DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 42
At last: a new moth for the garden. 2 grey shoulder-knots roosting on the egg boxes this morning, along with 4 March moths. Maybe will get into some decent moths. G.S-K is moth species 254 for the garden since June 2011.
regards,
Jono

Attachments

• DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 43
Well my first moth of the year turned out to be a rather out of season Pale Mottled Willow. Since I saw it in Azalea greenhouse in Botanical garden than probably the larva/pupa was brought in from outside with some Azalea pots and it has emerged a bit too early. A lifer for me! B :)

Attachments

• par_cla.jpg
    par_cla.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I've run a trap for the first half of the month without catching a thing.

One A. heracliana/ciliella to a lit window and an indoor M. obviella is the lot so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back