• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Harrier? Aberdeenshire, Scotland 18.6.22 (1 Viewer)

Andy Strachan

Scotland
Hi guys,

Taken this afternoon I think I've got a Marsh harrier here in these images. The bird's a bit haggard looking. Is it a moulting female or juvenile (female?)? There are one or two short grey feathers on it.
First time I've actually seen one. They're fairly regular at a local RSPC site but I've always missed them.

Attachments

• DSC_0234 (3).jpg
    DSC_0234 (3).jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0246 (2).jpg
    DSC_0246 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0253 (2).jpg
    DSC_0253 (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
2cy, probably male going by grey replacement feathers in wings & tail?

RB
Ah OK, that sounds like it makes sense. I thought juvenile because I thought the grey feathers were possibly old juvenile feathers that were being replaced. But I haven't much experience with moults etc at all.
Thanks

I thought the grey feathers were possibly old juvenile feathers that were being replaced.
Note that the grey/dark feathers that Rother (correctly) refers to are only the single tail-feather and a single outer secondary (or inner primary?) in each wing. The other pale bits are just feather-bases showing where the overlying feathers have been lost.

Note that the grey/dark feathers that Rother (correctly) refers to are only the single tail-feather and a single outer secondary (or inner primary?) in each wing. The other pale bits are just feather-bases showing where the overlying feathers have been lost.
Yeah, that's the ones I was referring to also. All makes sense now. Like I say, little experience on my side. Thanks.

It's good when not only are you seeing a bird for the first time, but you learn something at the same time.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back