• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Sandpiper NE Germany (1 Viewer)

BikeandBird

Hello all,

I saw the attached bird today in NE Germany near Kummerower See. There was a lot of bird activity there and I could observe the bird for a couple of minutes.
It was the first bird to arrive at the spot I was watching after a White-tailed Eagle scared of the present waders. It immediately caught my attention for being quite pale and elegant and appearing too small for a Greenshank. Quite soon it was surrounded by Ruffs. In the field I thought it looked good for a Marsh Sandpiper because of its pale and elegant appearance with a straight thin black bill. Also, it appeared to have the size of the female Ruffs and was smaller than the male Ruffs, Other waders were not directly around for a comparison. At some distance there were Greenshanks which looked noticably bigger than the surrounding Ruffs.
I met another birder shortly after who IDed the bird on the photos as a Greenshank. Unfortunately, we could not find the bird in question again.
After watching the photos I don't really know what to think of the bird anymore...

What do you say?

Thanks in advance,

Leo

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg