• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Massacre of migrating birds in Italy... (1 Viewer)

I find it impossible to get my head round the mindset, that derives such pleasure from such wanton slaughter!..........

Its interesting that CABS calls on all "bird and nature lovers" to condemn this behaviour. When I talk to people I know, with little interest in wildlife they are always horrified at the numbers and species involve. This includes a lot of Turkish and Cypriot Turkish friends who are very anti liming full stop, though concede a reasonable need for hunting for the pot in poorer rural areas.

The problem with guns is not that idiots can get hold of them, but that owning one seems to turn people into idiots. When you look at the studies commisioned as to why bird numbers are dropping you hardly need a Phd to work out one of the causes.

The problem with guns is not that idiots can get hold of them, but that owning one seems to turn people into idiots.

I've got to dissagree with that, Guns arent the problem idiots are the problem and a gun cant make an idiot out of someone who isnt one already.

I've got to dissagree with that, Guns arent the problem idiots are the problem and a gun cant make an idiot out of someone who isnt one already.

Actually I partially agree with you on second thoughts, I didn't put that very well. What I should have said is lots of idiots manage to get hold of guns quite easily without any useful test of their idiocy. There isn't a serial killer of birds stalking his way around Europe blasting hundreds of thousands of migrants from the sky with a silencer on his shotgun, there's thousands of idiots doing it quite merrily with full knowledge of the authorities.

I'm guessing in the UK we have fairly stringent tests and they still don't work particularly well.

Anyway, there's a huge issue around guns that will go on forever. The point is the number of birds being slaughtered across Europe is a scandal that is conveniently ignored for the sake of votes, bribes, intimidation or apathy.

Just musing, but isn't a fact that people who have guns want to use them, and most moving creatures just become a target.

Just musing, but isn't a fact that people who have guns want to use them, and most moving creatures just become a target.

No i wouldnt say that at all, Yes people who have guns want to use them but in a responsible and sustainable way generally shooting relatively small numbers of just a certain few species and there are of course those who have guns and use them but not to shoot living targets at all.

Its a huge and very wrong generalisation to class anyone who has a gun as the same as idiots like this.

The two gentlemen who shot the Hen Harriers at Sandringham were very likely regarded as responsible shooters by whoever gave them their gun licences. Like the Italian hunters though they were obviously confident of getting away with it. Which they have.

Shooting is a euphemism for killing. If you kill a deer or fox to reduce its population for conservation purposes, then no problem. If you kill a couple of rabbits to make a decent stew then fine. If you kill something for no other reason than to to test your reflexes, then get an X-box.

Think we've probably gone off thread a bit. No hard feelings Adam. The point is the slaughter caused by unregulated shooting in Europe.

Think we've probably gone off thread a bit. No hard feelings Adam. The point is the slaughter caused by unregulated shooting in Europe.

Yes i totally agree, that is where the problem is but all too often like we've seen again here people, instead of focusing on the problem start making sweeping generalisations about anyone that shoots or owns a gun.

Also obviously when i refered to responsible shooting i wasnt including illegal raptor persecution in the UK in that.

I didn't want to offend anyone, I was mainly thinking of the Arab and a lot of the Mediterranean fraternity, although we have our own examples who have been mentioned and got away with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back