• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (6 Viewers)

very nice..but where's the tail....

That was my first thought as well, especially given the length of the tail. But then I realized that you've captured their typical look as it is, with them looking out at you like you're an intruder in their realm and they're not happy about it. They even seem to think that they own our blueberry bushes!!

Ha... very true I did do a bit of an amputation on the drawing. I probably should've faded things off a bit behind the legs. I was concentrating more on the "expression." When I get around to painting this guy it will find it's tail.

OK, it isn't really an insect, but it is an arthropod... and an arachnid, but not a spider. The harvestman. This guy was a little beaten up and was missing a few legs.

Attachments

• daddyLL.gif
    daddyLL.gif
    118.6 KB · Views: 45
Like the detail in the harvestman, but also how clean it is. Still looks like it should be stalking over the Surrey countryside, setting fire to Woking...

The harvestmen do have a sci-fi look about them!

Here is the most recent project off the drafting table... another watercolor & ink "experiment" of a red-eyed vireo. Its approximately 8x10 inches on Arches 140lb HP paper. I'm trying to speed things up and not sweat as much detail compared to the pure watercolors. A step-by-step can be found here on the blog.

Attachments

• vireoFin.jpg
    vireoFin.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 31
  • vireoCU.jpg
    vireoCU.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 34
Glad you got the reference! I really like the detail on the vireo. I've been trying to speed my work up a bit as well and it's sort-of paying off.

This works really well - lends itself perfectly to illustration, methinks. Nice to see experimentation going on here and there too.

It's good to see more artists in here trying out different techniques, and the Vireo really looks good! We are still waiting for our first in Norway, by the way.

Pulled away by other projects... here is some recent pencil work.
Grey wall jumper
micrathena spider
white-breasted nuthatch
box turtle
American treesparrow

Attachments

• graywalljumper.gif
    graywalljumper.gif
    97 KB · Views: 20
  • micrathena.jpg
    micrathena.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 23
  • WBnutty.gif
    WBnutty.gif
    81.1 KB · Views: 17
  • boxturtle.gif
    boxturtle.gif
    99.2 KB · Views: 18
  • treespar.gif
    treespar.gif
    57.2 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back