• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mediterranean or Black Headed Gull - southern France (1 Viewer)

BBandW

I've always been rubbish with Gulls, so could some kind person tell me if this is a Mediterranean or Black Headed Gull, and more importantly what differentiates them in this winter plumage?

The picture was taken 3 days ago on the river in Toulouse. In reality I would say the bill was a slightly deeper red than the pic shows.
IMG_8020.jpg

At any age and at any time of year (and certainly in this view and outside the breeding season), best to focus on the bill thickness and the head pattern (a bird with black primaries could still be a 1st-winter Mediterranean gull). Your field guide will give you a better idea of exactly what to look for on those two features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back