• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meeting Up (1 Viewer)

Is there an experienced birder in the Swadlincote (South Derbyshire ) area willing to meet up to go birdwatching with someone who is still learning this great pastime? I’m a young 68 years of age and very fit and prepared to travel.

Hi тшітснег and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

There seems to be quite a lot of people in this birds forum but to get a simple answer to a question seems difficult to get? All I asked was if there was anyone in the Swadlincote, South Derbyshire area that would meet up to go birdwatching?

Hi, Twitcher. I think if you ask in the subforum for Derbyshire you might be able to get an answer. The hello forum is more of an introduction and general question area. Not a lot of folks read this area. Try posting in the Derbyshire area found here:

I was typing my reply and Kit posted right before me.

Hi Twitcher

Sorry you're struggling to get people to respond to your thread. I've just explored our Opus section and there are a few sites in Derbyshire listed: Category:Derbyshire - BirdForum Opus if you're near any of them it might be worth going along and always be prepared to talk to someone if they're interested.

Also, you're possibly close to Yorkshire? They sometimes have a "bash" or meet (look out for threads titled something like "Yorkshire Bash") and I'm quite sure they'd welcome you to join in with them. You could also post in their thread Yorkshire Birding Yorkshire Birding . Keith, for one, is very knowledgeable and always prepared to help newcomers.

I hope this helps. And do try and join in some of the threads, that way the members get to know you, your particular interests and level of expertise.

Hi twitcher, welcome to Birdforum, hope you enjoy it here.
Whilst there is a subforum for all things Yorkshire Here it may possibly be too far to make for a good day's birding for you as there are few bird reserves between the South of Yorkshire and Derbyshire. If you do fancy making the trip North I would recommend trying the Old Moor RSPB reserve near Doncaster and I could certainly meet you there, send a pm if interested.
You may be favourite asking in West Midlands forum HERE there are probably more reserves out Birmingham way and certainly there are a great many birders in and around the city. It would certainly be closer than Yorkshire so making for a shorter drive and a longer birding day.
Another way to meet up with fellow birders would be to see if there are any local RSPB groups close to you, they organise trips out and indoor meetings and are a good way to find birding friends.

I suspect the go-to locations in your neck of the woods are Willington Gravel Pits (Derbys) and Branston Gravel Pits (Staffs). You are more than welcome to join the West Midlands Birding Facebook group and, despite all its drawbacks, Twitter remains a great place for bird information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back