• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mega Hip Starlings! (1 Viewer)

gyrfalcon

Forum Member
Was I seeing things last night on ITV (UK).
A Carling Lager Commercial featured a big flock of Starlings doing pre-roost acrobatics, to the sound of Hard-Fi's "Living for the Weekend"?!

Didn't tempt me to go out and but a 6 pack of black label, but stuck in my mind! Anyone else see it?!

Yes gyrfalcon, I have seen it a few times now. I used to get something nearly as good as the starling spectacular, when I lived in Suffolk. I haven't seen it since I've been here on the south coast. I think its a great piece of photography.

mali said:
Yes gyrfalcon, I have seen it a few times now. I used to get something nearly as good as the starling spectacular, when I lived in Suffolk. I haven't seen it since I've been here on the south coast. I think its a great piece of photography.

Thanks Mali,
Great photography, Great Natural spectacle, Great music.. and err Carling Black label!

For such a common species, the swarming is not observed too often unless you live near a known roost. I can remember seeing it only twice in my life, both at least 15 years ago, both times very memorable.

Is the big roost still at Slimbridge? That was one of the early experiences that got me into birds.

Haven't seen the ad but we've had a starling roost in Brighton for many years. I agree, fantastic sight - RSPB set up a web cam recently to promote the spectacle. Unfortunately, their roosting place may fall into the sea before too long!

I half expected to see Bill Oddie pop up somewhere in the advert when I was watching it, surprised to see it was for Carling Black Label. B :)

Clever, it gets your attention!

I have a roost near me in some reeds by a lake but to watch you have to be there at very precise time. Also an estimated 5million birds roost under one of the bridges on the river Lagan in the centre of Belfast which can be quite spectacular.

I remember in the year 2000 celebratory fireworks in Belfast very close to the bridge upset the starlings big time and hundreds were found dead the following day having flown into windows nearby.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back