• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin ID (4 Viewers)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
I'm sitting here on the edge of Southampton in the southern UK running the Merlin app (on android) for which I have the Western Palearctic pack installed.
I'm playing a 'standard' Iberian Chiffchaff song from xeno canto and Merlin doesn't recognise it despite Iberian Chiffchaff being a species on the Sound Id bird list.
Is that because it's using my location or are there just some species for which it doesn't work very well?
Thanks

I'm sitting here on the edge of Southampton in the southern UK running the Merlin app (on android) for which I have the Western Palearctic pack installed.
I'm playing a 'standard' Iberian Chiffchaff song from xeno canto and Merlin doesn't recognise it despite Iberian Chiffchaff being a species on the Sound Id bird list.
Is that because it's using my location or are there just some species for which it doesn't work very well?
Thanks
Another possibility is that the XC recording is wrong?

Thanks
What is Merlin suggesting your recording is?

Early days yet, but I’ve started to test “Merlin” in the field and first results seem promising.
Correctly ID’ing (was quite close to all three just metres away) Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Blackcap, however it didn’t pick up on Cuckoo which could have been 4-500m away and had I not had my hearing aids….nor would I have!
However what really impressed me, was its first choice on an image ID, defaulting to the less common species before the regular, whether this was a coincidence or not, I can only wonder.😮
I know that it’s ID was correct, because size was noted as it emerged flying from the tangle, from which I was quite lucky, being already primed on focus point and zoom.
Location Paphos headland.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC01931.jpeg    GRW1..jpeg
    DSC01931.jpeg GRW1..jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks
I have noticed that Merlin cannot pick up birdsong from my television. Perhaps there is frequency variation on the output from tv/mobile speakers

I have noticed that Merlin cannot pick up birdsong from my television. Perhaps there is frequency variation on the output from tv/mobile speakers

On the three occasions that I’ve used it “in the field” (the subject birds were very clear and close), the ID was correct at all times.
I suspect gerald that you’re right, regarding “pick-up” from internal electrical devices.👍

That's a thought - I think you must be right.

I've just tried a few extra species that are on the merlin "able to id" using the Roche recordings stored on computer and played through the computer.

The following it identified

Lesser Whitethroat
Common Chiffchaff
Wood Warbler
Marsh Tit
Reed Warbler
Sedge Warbler

The following it didn't identify

Marsh Warbler
Willow Tit
Booted Eagle
Serin
Sardinian Warbler
Corn Bunting
Cirl Bunting

I'll be in Malaga province, Spain for 3 1/2 weeks from 20th May so will be able to check out the latter 4 or 5 in the field.

Paul

Early days yet, but I’ve started to test “Merlin” in the field and first results seem promising.
Correctly ID’ing (was quite close to all three just metres away) Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Blackcap, however it didn’t pick up on Cuckoo which could have been 4-500m away and had I not had my hearing aids….nor would I have!
Cheers
I've also been trying it in the field and it seems to be accurate for the common UK species. It's picked up a few I wasn't hearing but could do when I turned myself round to point my hearing aids in the right direction.

I recently played with Merlin in the mainland Europe, and it recognizes ca 50% of birds, and wrongly identifies or hallucinates about 3%
Among the common birds, it seems to very easily recognize Robin and Wren compared to other species, which I suspect is because these two are extremely common in Britain, where presumably training recordings come from. But it struggles with Starling calls, and generally ignores Great Reed Warblers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back