• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexico City + Monarch Sanctuary RFI (1 Viewer)

John Muddeman

hi all

I need urgent help to resolve a problem. I had a guide lined-up who appeared to be bona-fide and had given me assurances that they would take me birding around a site in Mexico City one morning, and then on to the Monarch Sanctuary in the Angangueo-Zitácuaro-Tlalpujahua area for 3 nights, plus the return to DF, with guiding organised in the El Rosario and Sierra Chincua reserves for the two full days we will be there. After seeing some inconsistencies in this person's correspondence and their inability to answer some basic questions, I've dug deep in internet and have finally come across some info on them... Which is negative, and I've had to pull out :eek!:

Anyone know of genuine local DF guides or even good ground agents in DF or Michoacán who could help me out?? Getting to/from the Monarch reserve and having hotel + guiding services there sorted out is the main priority.

The mexico-birding.com outfit also appears not to have functioned since a number of years ago and trying to send them a message via their on-line system fails.

Thanks in advance!

John

I just went there on my own. It involves taking a bus and then a combi (little van) to the town of Anganguero. The bus station in Mexico City will tell you which bus to take. Lots of decent hotels there. There is no transportation to the Butterfly Sanctuary so you would need to take a taxi. The El Rosario Butterfly Sanctuary is also good for birds. I saw the Yellow-eyed Junco there. The hotels are not heated so bring a good sweater. I spent three days there and it was great. Best time to go is after mid-February. You don't really need a guide once you get there. The main problem is transportation.

OK. Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it. :t:

As it's a much longer trip in total, I don't really want the hassle of dragging all the luggage around on public transport, but will consider options more. There must be some great birding possible en route from Mexico City too, if you hve private transport...

The bird lists (which I've downloaded off eBird for Feb for the sites) are interesting, though naturally somewhat limited given the limited habitat variety. Do hotels have hummingbird feeders up, BTW?

Why is it better to visit a little later BTW? I hope to be there mid Feb.

Regards

J

Mid Feb might be alright. I went in early Feb and the butterflies were not yet flying around. They just sit on the branches all winter with their wings closed. They start to fly around about mid-Feb. I did not see any hummingbird feeders while I was there. You could rent a car. That is another option. I could put you in contact with a driver in Mexico City if you don't want to drive yourself. I am going to San Blas at the end of Feb, then on to Mexico City.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back