• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Microphone for android to amplify sound (1 Viewer)

neilsumner123

United Kingdom
Can anyone please recommend a mic that I can plug-in to an android phone to amplify bird-song for use with Merlin? Not looking for anything too clever - just sound amplification to catch a slightly bigger range of bird song. Thnks

They are based in Spain and ship anywhere, including the USA. A parabolic dish will increase the sound reaching the mic and no signal amplification needed. They sell a kit that has the parabolic dish, microphone, and connectors for smartphones.

I have tried very good self-powered shotgun microphones and they did not improve the sound recording or bird song detection with Merlin one bit.

Thank you for this - I have been looking for the exact same thing (microphone for Android for using with Merlin). The BIRDMIC looks pretty serious!

Can anyone please recommend a mic that I can plug-in to an android phone to amplify bird-song for use with Merlin? Not looking for anything too clever - just sound amplification to catch a slightly bigger range of bird song. Thnks
As discussed before elsewhere here in this forum: The dish (25 cm) is too small to be reasonably effective below 3 to 4 kHz. It needs a dish diameter of SEVERAL wavelenghts (and not only one, as stated by BirdMic: 25 cm wavelenght are equivalent to roughly 1500Hz) to work as intended (i.e.reflection of sound). That is simply the physics of acoustics.

They are based in Spain and ship anywhere, including the USA. A parabolic dish will increase the sound reaching the mic and no signal amplification needed. They sell a kit that has the parabolic dish, microphone, and connectors for smartphones.

I have tried very good self-powered shotgun microphones and they did not improve the sound recording or bird song detection with Merlin one bit.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back