• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migration! Anyone seen anything yet? (1 Viewer)

There have been reports of Redwings starting to come back to Central England so I will hopefully start seeing a few migrants myself soon!! There was also a Red Backed Shrike not too far from me yesterday so the Shrikes are starting to move away from the Norfolk coast a bit more now!
I'm starting to get a B in my bonnet about Shrikes Emma!! lol! I must see one. Hope they move this way!
I know a nice hot spot for Redwing, so hopefully they will visit there soon. Yay!

...just don't hog them all!!!!;)

Matt
Dont be greedy Matt!! |:D|

There was a single Brambling on my Kent patch yesterday. I only saw four Swallows. At least two of them were youngsters as they still had a lot of yellow gape.
A Brambling! Smashing Pat,

Pat

Sorry about my lateness is joining this thread.

Sadly I missed the large migrationary movements on Sept 7th reported on the N E Coast at Tynemouth and areas nearby. A friend of mine was there and recorded large numbers of Wheatear, Chiffchaff, and Willow Warblers along with Redstarts, Pied Flycatchers, Spotted Flycatchers, Red Backed Shrike and Wryneck. I believe Arctic and Greenish Warblers were about too.

I visited the area a few days later and there was large numbers of Wheatear still about, Redstart, Whinchat, Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers.

Coming in the other direction I have recorded Whooper Swan at thecoast just last week and I am aware Pink Foted Geese have been recorded, but I have yet to see them. Numbers of Teal, Wigeon and Pochard are growing by the day. Sanderling, Turnstone and Knot numbers have increased.

I spotted a Common Sandpiper which was obviously on migration, on the local lake about a week ago. I had never seen one in this area before. It seems to have been a late start and so was very probably a juvenile bird.

Some good recording of movements there Bri, thanks

There are quite a few reports of pink feet today and a lot of them are local, did see some canada geese this morning flying low over a kids footie match. Shame about the willow tit, I managed to see at least one yesterday and a while later two marsh tits. The books tell you they don't normally live in the same area but quite often they are both seen on my local patch, I just wanted coal tit to make a full (English) house but I see those the least.
Chris.
It's that maddening regional thing Chris, I have a Coal Tit in my garden!
I remember talking to my postman last year when all of a sudden a large flock of canada geese flew over, that was my first sighting of things on the move.

I haven't seen anything locally yet but I'm going to Spurn Point on Friday. Hopefully there'll be lots of comings and goings going on there.
Good luck at Spurn Bea, I hope the weather improves for you.

Hi Pie,

I've just come back from a Borders trip. The locals were excited about Wrynecks and Redstarts turning up. I was too late as usual. Not on the grapevine. I noticed lots of Wheatear on the coast. One was intent on eating something in the mortar at Dunbar Castle. I tried a bit but it must be an acquired taste ;). I saw my first Whooper and Pink-foots of the season. According to the locals the Whooper wasn't a recent arrival, but just hadn't left with it's chums last spring. I don't suppose that one counts but it was nice to get such a good view. The Pink-foots had turned up late this year. Maybe the bad weather is affecting them too.

Oh I'm sorry you missed the Wryneck & Redstart Roy. It is worth getting yourself on the grapevine! lol! My Wryneck came from a tip off, but to be fair, most clubs share information.

Thank you all for your sightings and contributions. Lets hope the weather clears up. I have next week off, so fingers crossed for some good arrivals.
Good luck everyone

I seen a huge V of geese yesterday but couldn't say for certain what they were. There are a few places where pink footed ones like to go just over the water from me so maybe it was them.

While hanging the washing out early this morning I happened to look up and saw a small flock of birds, about 11, quite high and flying W to E. They definitely weren't thrushes but their wing shape and manner of flying looked very much like waders. Could this be?

Saw my first Brent Geese of the year yesterday. Not much, but it brought it home that winters' a-coming!

We have had lots of Pinkfeet passing over. Redwings are returning now. There has been a fair amount of wild foul passing in this last wee while.

Who knows what this wind will bring.

Here is a Wryneck whos journy ended here.

Attachments

• DSCN7259.JPG
    DSCN7259.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 21
We have had lots of Pinkfeet passing over. Redwings are returning now. There has been a fair amount of wild foul passing in this last wee while.

Oh no! Aw Dafi that is so sad, do you know what happened to it?

Hi Pie, It was more than likley exaustion that did for it.

Its hard work migrating i think it takes a fair tole on the birds.

That is very sad, Dafi. I have never seen a Wryneck.

had a real suprise this evening when i found a Whooper Swan on my local patch. Very unusual this far south and this early!

Hi Pie, It was more than likley exaustion that did for it.

Its hard work migrating i think it takes a fair tole on the birds.

Ah, that's a shame Dafi. There was a sudden flurry of Wryneck sightings in various locations a couple of weeks ago. I was lucky enough to see one on my second attempt, fantastic Bird, what a treat. I notice the one in your pic looks small, I guess that might have contributed to it's exhaustion.

You may be to late for a Wryneck now Val, Ive not read anything lately but you never know, fingers crossed. (and you have Scilly on your doorstep!) :t:

had a real suprise this evening when i found a Whooper Swan on my local patch. Very unusual this far south and this early!

I wonder why it's alone & not with a family group? Maybe this one came direct Luke. Be interesting to see what happens in the next few days.

I've seen my first fieldfare of the Autumn this afternoon, about 40 headed in a Westerly direction. Also had 3 stonechat while walking the dogs, looked like a family group.

A good variety of partial migrants today. I saw Stonechat this afternoon too Chris, also 3 large flocks of Goldfinch, several Goldcrests heard in the hedgerows. It was'nt a Birding day, I met up with a friend at the Waterloo Gallery Cafe in Penarth, fabulous place. Took my camera tho, & managed a few pics.
Nice to see Fieldfare Chris.

Attachments

• DSC_0247.JPG
    DSC_0247.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0228.JPG
    DSC_0228.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 14
I just popped down to our village Post Office and a huge flock of Fieldfare flew overhead heading south.......my first of the autumn and great to see!!:t:

I saw the my first Fieldfares of the season today, about 50 flying E to W. I'm always pleased to see the first Fieldfares and Redwings in Autumn. For me its almost as exciting as seeing the first Swifts in Spring.

I heard redwing flying over on Friday night and saw some yesterday morning on my dog walk. Also had a flyover of pink feet, 50 or so fieldfare and meadow pipits have moved in. No sign of stonechats but hopefully they are still around somewhere.

I hope to visit a site known for Redwing tomorrow weather permitting. It's been raining heavily today, so fingers crossed. Ive not seen Fieldfare in high numbers Bea & Chris, just the odd one or two, what a great sighting.
Well done both

I hope to visit a site known for Redwing tomorrow weather permitting. It's been raining heavily today, so fingers crossed. Ive not seen Fieldfare in high numbers Bea & Chris, just the odd one or two, what a great sighting.
Well done both

Good luck tomorrow, Pie!

I visited a local site last week where I had seen Redwing last Autumn...no luck! All I managed to get was wet trainers,wet socks and cold toes, I didn't put my walking boots on!o:D

An update if you manage a visit tomorrow please!:t:

I had my first Redwings of the autumn on Holy Island on 5th Oct. Only a handful and not many more on 18th Oct. My first Fieldfare were seen on the 18th Oct. Again not in great numbers but more Fieldfare than Redwings. A good cold easterly wind may bring them in numbers.

Thousands of Pinkfoot in Budle Bay just south of the island on 18th, along with a few Barnacle Geese. Just over two weeks before hand 20,000 Barnacle Geese had been seen in the Bay as they stopped off on their way to the Solway. I reckon Barnacles are my favourite geese. Well the favourite of the ones I have seen anyway!

Edit. Who is going to report the first Waxwing I wonder?o:D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back